Your Curriculum Companion (K–5)
The Essential Guide to Teaching the EL Education K–5 Language Arts Curriculum
About Your Curriculum Companion
This essential guide to the EL Education K–5 Language Arts Curriculum is one part roadmap to the curriculum, one part orientation to its instructional practices, and one part coach—to answer your questions, relieve your stress, and put you and your students on the path to success.
Your Curriculum Companion explores the foundations of the curriculum, including the principles and research it was built on and the instructional practices that make it unique. The book is designed to help you “look under the hood” at practices embedded throughout the curriculum so that you can sharpen your instruction, support students to be leaders of their own learning, and make well-informed changes to best meet your students’ needs.
Key features of Your Curriculum Companion include:
- Twenty-seven accompanying videos—see the curriculum in action
- Task cards for guidance on how to plan when the planning has been done for you
- The why, what, and how of the K–2 Reading Foundations Skills Block
- A deep dive into the purpose and structure of close reading and close read-alouds, including two sample annotated lessons
- An exploration of the relationship between reading and writing and how the curriculum is designed to help students become strong communicators, including an annotated “read-think-talk-write” lesson
- Detailed descriptions of the ways in which English language learners and other students who may need additional support are challenged, engaged, and empowered throughout the curriculum
- Guidance for turning evidence of student progress into usable data that can inform your instruction
- Support for school leaders
, Literacy Program Specialist, Tucson, Arizona
“This book is a must-read for anyone wanting a comprehensive understanding of the EL Education curriculum. I think anyone reading it will walk away with a deeper understanding of what it takes to develop agency in our students and realize the goal of equity for all.”
Make the Most of Your Curriculum Companion
As the title suggests, this book is a companion to EL Education’s K-5 Language Arts Curriculum. You can browse and download the curriculum and access a comprehensive suite of companion resources at Curriculum.ELeducation.org.
- Browse the entire collection of Your Curriculum Companion videos.
- Explore PD Packs that support self-study of the curriculum: Language Arts Curriculum; Meet the Modules; Supporting English Language Learners
- EL Education also offers professional development related to the curriculum and Your Curriculum Companion. For more information about existing opportunities, or to make inquiries about bringing professional development to your area, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to buy the book.
Leaders of Their Own Learning
Transforming Schools Through Student-Engaged Assessment
Making the Common Core Shift with Work That Matters
Learning that Lasts
Challenging, Engaging, and Empowering Students with Deeper Instruction
Schoolwide book study, tool for professional coaching, or anchor text for professional learning communities.