We Are Crew
A Teamwork Approach to School Culture
"It's the world's best advisory system..."
–Tom Vander Ark
Crew is two things. It is a schoolwide culture that supports social and emotional wellness, character development, and academic and life success for students and staff. It is also a unique and transformational meeting structure for secondary school advisories, elementary school morning and closing circles, and for staff collaboration. We Are Crew provides guidance for bringing Crew to your school or district and highlights numerous examples from successful schools that have used Crew to foster student and staff success for more than 25 years. We Are Crew is paired with an online toolkit of resources and a suite of open-source videos.
Key features of We Are Crew include:
- Thirty-eight accompanying videos—see Crew in action
- An online toolkit of downloadable documents referenced throughout the book
- A virtual Crew appendix containing a variety of stories, strategies, and examples to support teachers to implement Crew remotely
- A PD Pack to support you or your professional learning community to read and reflect on the book
- A full chapter devoted to building a strong culture and structure of Crew among staff
- Support for elementary schools to enhance their Morning Meetings and secondary schools to enhance their advisories with new elements that improve social and emotional wellness and academic success
- Guidance for conducting courageous conversations with students and staff around important topics such as equity, racism, identity, and action for social justice
- Advice on building support for academic success into Crew
- Support for secondary Crew leaders on preparing students for the post-secondary journey
- Tools for assessing the efficacy of Crew in your school
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Creating a Culture of Crew
Chapter 2: Building Staff Crew
Chapter 3: Creating a Structure of Crew
Chapter 4: Helping Students Become Effective Learners through Crew
Chapter 5: Helping Students Become Ethical People through Crew
Chapter 6: Helping Students Contribute to a Better World through Crew
Chapter 7: Preparing for the Postsecondary Journey in Crew
Chapter 8: Improving Crew across the School
"A must-read for educators interested in the whole child, and in all children, and in the potential for schools to change lives.", Founder and CEO, Character Lab; Rosa Lee and Egbert Chang Professor at the University of Pennsylvania
What is Virtual Crew?
Part of the Virtual Crew Collection
Management in the Active Classroom
Schoolwide book study, tool for professional coaching, or anchor text for professional learning communities.