We Are Crew
A Teamwork Approach to School Culture
Create a Courageous Classroom Culture
Students and staff are counting on school communities to be safe, affirming, and healing, whether classes are in-person, remote, or hybrid. Academic success depends on it, and the health and wellness of students and staff depends on it.
EL Education’s latest book, We Are Crew: A Teamwork Approach to School Culture is a practical, research-informed guide to developing a school culture that nurtures social-emotional and academic development, affirms diverse identities, supports courageous conversations, fosters belonging, and centers authentic and trusting relationships. It is also a guide to establishing and maintaining the structure of Crew, which is EL Education’s framework for daily whole-class meetings in elementary schools and small advisory groups in secondary schools.
"A must-read for educators interested in the whole child, and in all children, and in the potential for schools to change lives.", Founder and CEO, Character Lab; Rosa Lee and Egbert Chang Professor at the University of Pennsylvania
We Are Crew is more than a book. It is an entry point to a community of fellow educators who share a commitment to Crew and are learning and growing together. We Are Crew includes a PD Pack for independent or small group professional learning, an online toolkit of models from diverse schools, and a collection of 38 videos of practices in action, including virtual Crew guidance. Even schools that have been using Crew for years will find pathways to strengthen school culture amid the pandemic and beyond.
We Are Crew draws on EL Education’s 25 years of practice in schools and districts—in the United States and internationally—where Crew is both a structure and a way of being. We have seen how Crew is an engine that drives equitable outcomes for all students.
You can purchase We Are Crew in the EL Education store or wherever you like to buy books. As you explore the book and its accompanying resources, we look forward to hearing how you are using Crew to create a community of healing and hope. Share your experiences on social media with #WeAreCrew.
"It's the world's best advisory system.", CEO Getting Smart; Formerly founding education director, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Key features of We Are Crew include:
- Thirty-eight accompanying videos—see Crew in action
- Discussion questions and information about each video
- An online toolkit of downloadable documents referenced throughout the book
- A virtual Crew appendix containing a variety of stories, strategies, and examples to support teachers to implement Crew remotely
- A PD Pack to support you or your professional learning community to read and reflect on the book
- A full chapter devoted to building a strong culture and structure of Crew among staff
- Support for elementary schools to enhance their Morning Meetings and secondary schools to enhance their advisories with new elements that improve social and emotional wellness and academic success
- Guidance for conducting courageous conversations with students and staff around important topics such as equity, racism, identity, and action for social justice
- Advice on building support for academic success into Crew
- Support for secondary Crew leaders on preparing students for the post-secondary journey
- Tools for assessing the efficacy of Crew in your school
Schoolwide book study, tool for professional coaching, or anchor text for professional learning communities.