Contributing to a Better World
Part of the Character Framework Collection
Students contribute to a better world, putting their learning to use as active citizens, working for social justice, environmental stewardship, and healthy, equitable communities. They put learning to use to improve communities, through citizenship, service, and advocacy.
- [Boy 1] You can change the world or make a difference.
- [Boy 2] Yeah, you don’t need to be an adult to do something. You can do things when you’re a kid.
- Nobody’s better than youth to combat these social issues.
- [Boy] Generation after generation leaving a change on the world and a mark.
- [Teen Boy] When people say that we’re rebellious, that comes with going against like the oppressions.
- Together we stand, we organize, we educate.
- We save our watershed and we help animals and we serve and...
- [Teen Boy] We have the power to make change and we’re gonna make change.
- [Teacher] Preserving our community so that the health of our watershed can improve. This is going to show them that there’s hope.
- We’ve actually been taking care of trouts in my classroom.
- [Boy] We’re releasing trout because it’s very important for the ecosystem to be balanced.
- Your diet is bloodworms, shrimp, mealworms, insects...
- Watch out for predators! I’ll miss you!
- And I kinda feel sad just letting them go but it’s gonna be in a better environment. The life cycle’s gonna keep on going.
- If you’re here, if you’re alive you know, you should be working to help other people.
- We’re gonna have to actually go out out of the school and actually do certain things to experience.
- Taking action towards something, creating a change... ...and then research, expanding your knowledge, making sure that you’re aware of everything.
- I feel like education could just shift the whole universe.