6-8 Language Arts Curriculum (Second Edition)
For use with the 6-8 Language Arts Curriculum (Second Edition) during the 2019 - 2020 school year (soft launch)
EL Education Grades 6-8 Language Arts Curriculum (Second Edition)
As a soft launch partner of the second edition of the 6-8 Language Arts Curriculum, you have access to additional supporting materials. Any materials in the print Teacher Guides that references "http://eled.org/tools" can be found here.
Files will be updated as modules are released.
- Conversation Cues Overview (Overview - Conversation Cues in the EL Education Language Arts Curriculum) - This document describes Conversation Cues—questions teachers can ask students to promote productive and equitable conversation, based on four goals: encourage all students to talk and be understood; to listen carefully and seek to understand one another; to deepen thinking; and to think with others to expand the conversation. It includes examples for each goal and describes the research base behind Conversation Cues.
- EL Education Classroom Protocols - A compendium of protocols (structured conversations) used in the EL Education Language Arts Curriculum Module Lessons, as well as writing rubrics (opinion, informative, narrative), speaking and listening checklists, and an explanation of conversation cues. Serves as a critical ongoing reference document alongside the K–8 module lessons.
- Language Dives Overview (Overview - Language Dives in the EL Education Language Arts Curriculum) - This document describes what a language dive is, criteria for a good language dive sentence, when students do language dives, what the benefits of language dives are, and the principles and research base that underlie language dives.
- Checklists for Grades 6, 7, and 8: (can be found using grade level links above)
- Speaking and Listening Informal Checklists
- Writing Informal Checklists
An updated version of the following documents will be available as modules are released (these documents can be accessed via the Grade Level Dropbox folders linked above).
- Affix Lists, Grade 6, Grade 7, and Grade 8 - The affix list contains frequently used Greek and Latin prefixes, suffixes and roots used in Module 1.
- Curriculum Map - The Curriculum Map is the best resource to understand the year’s work in the module lessons for each grade level. It gives a detailed view of the scope and sequence of the modules, showing module titles, topics, tasks (each module’s unit assessments and performance task), and targets (the standards explicitly taught and formally assessed in each module).
- Curriculum Plan - The 6–8 Curriculum Plan provides a high-level overview of the recommended sequencing and pacing of topics, targets, and required trade texts for each grade and outlines key aspects of vertical alignment across grades. This Curriculum Plan aligns to the 6–8 Language Arts Curriculum (Second Edition).
- Independent Reading Sample Plans - The Independent Reading Sample Plans document is a resource for launching and sustaining a strong independent reading program that emphasizes accountability in Grades 6–8. It includes lesson sequences that vary in length.
- Second Edition Enhancements and Crosswalks - This resource outlines enhancements to the 6–8 Language Arts Curriculum (Second Edition), including changes to the overall structure and specific enhancements to instruction, assessments, and materials toward literacy standards alignment. Also included are crosswalks for 6M1, 7M1, and 8M2 that compare the first editions of each grade to the modifications to the second edition modifications to performance tasks and on-demand assessments.
If you have trouble accessing materials, please contact us at CurriculumFeedback@ELeducation.org.