Klingenstein and Silverberg Awards Deadline Extended to June 9th
The deadline for nominations for our third annual Klingenstein Teacher Award, which recognizes excellence in teaching, and our first annual Silverberg Leadership Award, which recognizes excellence in school leadership has been extended to Monday, June 9th. Each 2014 award comes with a cash prize and will be presented at Expeditionary Learning's (EL) National Conference in Boston in December.
The awards were generously endowed by Lee Klingenstein and Irwin Silverberg who are members of EL's Board of Directors. Klingenstein is also Founding Board Chair.
The Klingenstein Teacher Award will be given to an exemplary EL teacher who is judged by his or her peers to have most successfully transmitted to students the essence of EL culture, putting character and behavior on par with academics and instilling the ethic of "citizen scholarship." The nominated teacher should:
- Instill in students a desire to learn, take responsibility for their own education and achieve good academic results;
- Inspire students' participation in good citizenship in its broader sense, as well as inside the classroom, in the school and as part of the greater community; and
- Model the value of "we are crew, not passengers," in their classroom and school.
The Silverberg Leadership Award will be given to an exemplary school leader who has successfully impacted student achievement outcomes through a deep implementation of the EL model. Nominees should have inspired teachers, administrative staff, and students to embrace EL culture, enabling every student to reach his or her potential through a focus on academics, character, and civic responsibility. The nominated school leader should:
- Catalyze positive leadership as a shared function in EL schools from teachers, parents, and students;
- Inspire teachers and students to embrace the EL culture of quality and collegiality;
- Create and atmosphere of engagement and high standards for both learning and character;
- Set a "higher bar" for and recognize excellence among teachers and students; and
- Encourage innovation while providing teachers the means to explore outstanding practices employed in the EL community.
Please review the guidelines above before submitting nominations and direct all nominations and questions to either: firstname.lastname@example.org for the Klingenstein Award; and email@example.com for the Silverberg Award.