Hot-Button Topics, Civil Conversations
In an Edutopia piece, Franklin School of Innovation teacher Katie Dulaney and EL Education writer Anne Vilen discuss ways teachers can foster productive classroom conversation on contentious topics.
Dulaney and Vilen recommend five strategies:
- Establish Democratic Classroom norms.
- Study the art of rhetoric.
- Explore evidence from multiple perspectives.
- Get critiques before you go public.
- Help kids learn to live with contradictions.
Read the full story on Edutopia.