Harborside Academy School Principal, William Haithcock, Receives National Leadership Award From EL Education
EL Education is proud to announce that William Haithcock, Principal of Harborside Academy in Kenosha, Wisconsin has received the 2019 Silverberg Leadership Award.
The Klingenstein Teacher Award and Silverberg Leadership Award were established to celebrate this exceptional teaching and leadership. Each year, two educators are selected—a teacher and a school leader—who exemplify the spirit and values of EL Education and give voice to the hundreds of wonderful educators in the EL community.
Created by EL Education Board Member Irwin Silverberg, the award is given to an exemplary school leader who has raised student achievement through deep implementation of EL Education practices and comes with a $5,000 cash prize.
Haithcock accepted the award at the EL Education 2019 National Conference in Atlanta, Georgia and addressed the audience of more than 1,300 educators with inspiring words:
“I learned that it is our job to set high expectations and sometimes to say no, but none of that means anything unless you have an amazing plan to build on the good that exists in each of our students.”
Watch Haithcock’s full speech here.
Educators nominated for the EL Education Silverberg Award:
- Unite staff, students, and the broader community around an inspirational vision of student success rooted in EL Education’s three dimensions of student achievement;
- Engage their school community in continuous improvement to fulfill the vision;
- Cultivate a professional culture among adults that parallels the empowering culture they foster for students;
- Build the leadership capacity of others and empower them to lead improvement across the school;
- Respect teachers and other staff members as creative agents and support them as professionals continually seeking to improve their craft; and
- Ensure high-quality instruction through adequate allocation of resources and supporting structures so that all students excel.
EL Education proudly recognizes and congratulates all finalists for the 2019 Silverberg Leadership Award. All finalists, who are nominated by peers, stand out for their remarkable service to their school community, as well as their persistence in passionately developing students with character who excel academically and contribute to making the world a better place. Finalists for the 2019 Silverberg Leadership Award are:
- Cherisse Campbell, Amana Academy, Alpharetta, GA
- Yanira Canizales, Lodestar Community Charter School, Oakland, CA
- Cynthia Clayton, Burns Elementary-Middle School, Detroit, MI
- Dr. Bill Coon, Meadow Glen Middle School, Lexington, SC
- Erica Crane, Sierra Academy of Expeditionary Learning, Nevada City, CA
- Dr. Diamond Ford, Michael R. Hollis Innovation Academy, Atlanta, GA