EL Education Launches The Better World Project
America needs models of student work that make the world a better place now more than ever.
This year EL Education is celebrating 25 years as an organization and as a network of amazing schools that are contributing to a better world in so many ways.
The EL Education Better World Project is a new initiative to broaden national understanding of our focus on joining character and scholarship in education.
We want to elevate the great student work in your schools—in your own communities and on the national stage. For the 25th year of EL Education, we want to spotlight current beautiful and important student projects with integrity.
Let’s celebrate the high quality work of your students! Here’s what we’re looking for:
EL Education Learning Expeditions and Projects—active in the 2017-2018 school year—that exemplify students joining character and scholarship to contribute to their communities and the world, and to build bridges of understanding across differences. We’re seeking a set of Better World Projects to use as examples of students doing more than we all think possible, and are seeking Project Partners—lead teachers—to partner with us on this initiative.
What we need from prospective Better World Project Partners
- A proposal with a project description submitted by September 30, 2017.
- Willingness to work with EL Education-provided coaches and experts to refine and improve the project plans, implementation and documentation of the work during the school year.
- Willingness to document the project closely throughout its execution through high-quality photographs, video and artifacts.
- Willingness to learn from a cohort of colleagues in other schools, all preparing for a shared Celebration of Learning Day in the spring in your local community.
What we offer to selected Better World Project Partners
- Dedicated personal coaching from an experienced EL Education teacher in the planning, implementation, and documentation of your work during the school year.
- Support and training for documenting your project with integrity and elegance.
- An opportunity to be part of exciting cohort of teachers working collaboratively across the country.
- Support with sharing your great work with local and national audiences.
- Financial support for documentation of the project, and for aspects of implementation, including: Fieldwork, Experts, Equipment and Materials, Publication and Performance—up to $5,000.
How to apply and get more information
For instructions on how to apply for the EL Education Better World Project, click here. Also, here are some Frequently Asked Questions. Please email your application and any questions to betterworldprojects@ELeducation.org.