Each year, EL Education high schools bring their communities together to celebrate students graduating and heading to college with a tradition called The College March, established by our New York City partner, NYC Outward Bound. Today, communities across the country participate in celebratory marches to local post offices where students can drop off their college applications and feel celebrated for their accomplishments through parades, shout-outs, and rallies. The tradition inspires hope and pride in communities as older students show younger students what is possible.
2021 College March
The 11th Annual College March is back in-person this year celebrating milestones for thousands of seniors in EL Education public schools nationwide. Check out the list of marches below and reach out to your local school to join the celebration. Use #collegemarch on social media!
Harborside Academy, Kenosha, WI – December 1, 2021
The Springfield Renaissance School, Springfield, MA – December 17, 2021
Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School, Queens, NY – December 10, 2021
Open World Learning Community, St. Paul, MN – December 10, 2021
The James Baldwin School, New York City, NY – December 10, 2021
Casco Bay High School, Portland, ME – December 17, 2021
Community School for Social Justice, Bronx, NY – December 16, 2021
Join the conversation using #CollegeMarch on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Tag @ELeducation and @NYCOutwardBound so we can amplify the celebration!
The 10th Annual College March is going virtual! Revisit this year's live stream event on the NYC Outward Bound Schools Facebook page.
The half-hour event featured EL Education & NYC Outward Bound Schools alumni speakers Maleka Stewart (Channel View) and Luis Hernandez (Brooklyn Collaborative), along with the founder of the College March and former AP of WHEELS, Jenny Rodriguez.
Explore our Padlet board dedicated to the Class of 2021 filled with good wishes and messages of congratulations.
In the News
- Bronx high school students march to celebrate their college destination
- Rochester’s World of Inquiry School Students Ready To March Toward College
- Annual College March at World of Inquiry
- Casco Bay High School seniors march through Portland to mail college applications
- Casco Bay students to hold ‘March to the Post Office’
Every December, thousands of seniors in EL Education public schools march together to a local post office to mail in their college applications. This tradition inspires hope and pride in communities across the country, as the seniors show younger students and families a new vision of what is possible. Originally celebrated at Washington Heights Expeditionary Learning School (one of 11 NYC Outward Bound Schools built on the EL Education model), these marches are now part of the rhythm of the year at schools across the country.
That's a wrap! The 2018 College March was a huge success on December 14th, with more than 2,300 seniors in 12 cities marching to the post office to deliver their applications with the support of volunteers, postal workers, younger students, families, and even state senators! Check out some of the highlights from marches across the country below, and add words of encouragement for students to the 2018 photo album on Facebook.
In the News
- World of Inquiry marching in Rochester, NY makes Spectrum News
- Casco Bay High School College March makes the news as Portland Mayor begs students to return after college
- Channel 13 ABC News covers World of Inquiry march in Rochester, NY
Congratulations to the following schools for marching to the post office to deliver their applications as part of the 2018 College March.
- Brooklyn Collaborative, Brooklyn, NY
- Leaders High School, Brooklyn, NY
- Kurt Hahn School, Brooklyn, NY
- James Baldwin School, Manhattan, NY
- WHEELS, Manhattan, NY
- Channel View School for Research, Queens, NY
- MELS, Forest Hills, NY
- Gaynor McGown EL School, Staten Island, NY
- Harborside Academy, Kenosha, WI
- World of Inquiry, Rochester, NY
- Codman Academy Charter Public School, Dorchester, MA
- Open World Learning Community, St. Paul, MN
- Casco Bay High School, Portland, ME
- Capital City Public Charter School, Washington, DC
- Sierra Academy of Expeditionary Learning, Nevada City, CA
- Springfield Renaissance School, Springfield, MA
Check out 2017 College March news stories and find yourselves in our 2017 #CollegeMarch photos:
Mayor of Rochester honors World of Inquiry seniors who marched to City Hall
Spectrum News captures joyful World of Inquiry College March
Portland Press Herald covers Casco Bay High School College March
Tag yourself in the 2017 #CollegeMarch photo album on Facebook
Download the College March lesson plan to use with your students
Congratulations to all the seniors, families, and school communities who marched in 2017!
- Brooklyn Collaborative, Brooklyn, NY- 10:15 am ET/Pep rally 9:30 am
- Casco Bay High School, Portland, ME - 1:30 pm ET
- Channel View School for Research, Queens, NY - 11:30 am ET
- Gaynor McCown School, Staten Island, NY - 11:45 am ET
- James Baldwin School, Manhattan, NY - 11:45 am ET
- Kurt Hahn School, Brooklyn, NY - 11:15 am ET
- Leaders High School, Brooklyn, NY - 11:50 am ET
- MELS, Queens, NY - Noon ET/Pep rally 11:10 am ET
- Open World Learning Community, St. Paul, MN *Marching on December 8th, 9:30 am CT
- River’s Edge Academy, St. Paul, MN - 8:15 am CT
- Springfield Renaissance School, Springfield, MA
- WHEELS, Manhattan, NY - 11:50 am ET
- World of Inquiry School #58, Rochester, NY - 10 am ET
- Capital City Public Charter School, Washington, D.C. *Marched in November
- Harborside Academy, Kenosha, WI *Marched in November
The College March originated with the NYC Outward Bound Schools network which implements the EL Education school model, and has since spread to schools across the country. This year, seniors from 25 schools in 11 cities will be marching as friends, family, and community members cheer them on from the sidelines and sidewalks.
2016 College March
Check out coverage and proud moments from last year’s march celebrating the class of 2017.