- Date Posted
- Partner Schools
- Chicago, IL
Third Grade Crew Lead Teacher (full-time)
Located on Chicago’s west side, Polaris Charter Academy is a dynamic EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) school dedicated to supporting students to become academically successful life-long learners with a strong sense of personal and civic responsibility. With 450 students grades K – 8, PCA promotes an expanded definition of student achievement, putting both academic excellence and character development equally at the forefront. PCA was founded in 2007 by three Golden Apple Award winning teachers whose mission was to transform education by creating a school deeply rooted in the best practice of “learning by doing.” Their partnership with EL Education brought about rigorous community-based curriculum called “expeditions” (long term projects), experiential learning methods, and the importance of developing character through a core set of values, we call The Points of Polaris. PCA is one of the 33 credentialed EL Education schools and one of seven EL Mentor Schools in a national network of more than 150 schools that work together with EL Education to challenge students to think critically and take active leadership in their classrooms and community.
You should have:
· Strong belief that children can make a significant contribution to the school, community, and world
· Belief that every child can learn and reach high levels of academic achievement and character growth
· Strong evidence of implementing exciting and effective instructional practices that increase student learning
· Proven ability to contribute to a high-performing team, along with strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively informally and formally with fellow team members and staff
· A commitment and thirst for continuously improving teaching and school culture through rigorous coaching and professional development
· A passion for Deeper Learning that aligns with the principles of EL Education (Learn more at elschools.org)
· Illinois teaching license(s)
As part of the Polaris Crew, you will:
· Develop, document and implement curriculum aligned with PCA learning expeditions and curriculum maps
· Maintain effective instructional practices- utilized to make learning come alive, ensure that all students have access and participate, and use data to modify instruction to ensure differentiated learning
· Commit to character education fostered through daily practice of Crew and challenging academic work
· Effectively train and supervise your teaching assistant to support and improve instruction, character development and crew culture for all students
· Plan, participate in, and lead fieldwork promoting adventure or connected to expedition, including 1 overnight fieldwork
· Continue to grow and develop your practice while participating in rigorous coaching professional development
Want to join the PCA crew?
PCA seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds. PCA is inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
To initiate the process, please send your cover letter and resume to Michelle Navarre, Head of School, at email@example.com.