The Downtown Denver Expeditionary School (DDES): Crew Leaders K-5 (Classroom Teachers)
- Date Posted
- Partner Schools
- Denver, CO
Do you crave a diverse teaching environment in the city core, made up of a crew that believes in deeper learning, provides coaching and robust professional development for teachers, and takes the learning out of the classroom and in to the city and mountains?
The Downtown Denver Expeditionary School (DDES) is a K-5 independent, community-run charter school in the portfolio of Denver Public Schools. DDES was founded by a group of parents, community members and business leaders seeking a high-performing EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) school to serve a diverse range of families who live, work, or learn in downtown Denver. DDES is one of 33 credentialed schools in a national network of more than 150 schools that work together with EL Education to challenge students to think critically and take active roles in their classrooms and communities, resulting in higher achievement and greater engagement in school.
● Strong evidence of implementing effective instructional practices that increase student learning
● Proven ability to contribute to a high-performing team, along with strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively informally and formally with individuals and families of diverse make-up, cultures and communities
● A commitment to and thirst for continuously improving teaching and school culture through rigorous coaching and professional development
● A passion for deeper learning that aligns with the core principles of El Education
● A Colorado teaching certificate in Elementary Education
● Highly qualified status as defined by NCLB requirements
As part of a team you will:
● Develop, document, and evaluate curriculum aligned with DDES learning expeditions and curriculum maps
● Maintain effective instructional practices-utilized to make learning come alive, ensure that all students participate, and use data to modify instruction to ensure differentiated learning
● Commit to character education fostered through challenging academic work, service, and whole child learning
● Work with our Adventure Coordinator to schedule, plan, and attend 2 camping trips and 1 day trip per year
● Effectively supervise any teaching assistants and parent volunteers to support and improve instruction, character development and crew culture for all students
Does it sound like a fit?
DDES engages in an extensive recruiting and vetting process in order to identify optimal candidates. Our process may involve initial and secondary resume review, phone interviews, in-person interviews, demonstration lessons, group interviews, and background and reference checks.
DDES seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. DDES is inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio- economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non- merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
To initiate the process, please provide the following materials via email to:
● In your subject line, “Crew Leader 2019-20 application” and “Your Name.”
● Your cover letter and resume
● A 15 minute video of a class lesson – must include a portion of you leading whole class instruction