- EL Education
- New York
- National HQ
- New York City, NY
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
In addition to success on standardized tests, EL students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://ELeducation.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL Education relies on a strong finance team to support its overall budget, employee business expenses, revenue from earned and contributory sources, and strategies to ensure growth and sustainability.
The Staff Accountant is directly responsible for various financial duties of the organization, focusing on payments to vendors, contractors, and employees; financial analysis and reporting; and systems maintenance. The Staff Accountant:
Accounts Payable/Payroll - Operations
- Manages daily accounts payable function:
- Implements all check/cash disbursements; codes, reviews, approves, and enters invoices and expense requisitions. Performs check runs on a bi-weekly basis.
- Designs, implements, and maintains reimbursement system and trains users on its use (for e.g. Expensify).
- Prepares general ledger journal entries as necessary.
- Maintains vendor relations and updates vendor records in accounting software.
- Respond to EL Staff inquiries related to work assignments (i.e. Accounts Payable, Payroll payments, Expensify).
- Supports Department Leaders as necessary.
- Payroll processing
- Prepares and enters payroll data into ADP on a bi-monthly basis using information provided by Human Resources.
- Ensure that payroll changes are incorporated and accurate.
- Coordinate with HR Director on information/data changes.
- Prepare journal entries for each payroll that include staff allocations.
- Monthly Close:
- Reconcile petty cash for NYC and Amherst offices.
- Processes corporate credit card expenses and requests: codes, reviews, and approves charges.
- Manage assets and depreciation.
- Keep an inventory of EL gear and books. Works with program team to ensure an accurate inventory.
- Post pre-paid expenses for insurance, service contracts, security deposits, facilities fees, and employee travel.
- Accrue monthly rent expense, audit expenses.
- Year End & Auditing Support:
- Creates audit schedules which tie to balance sheet for fiscal year end.
- Supports auditors with any needs throughout the year and during our annual audit.
- Maintains a record for all consultants and processes yearly 1099 and 1096 filings.
- Policy & Procedures:
- Offers recommendations for policy and procedure changes to ensure adherence to company guidelines.
- Identifies new policy needs and revises existing policy yearly as needed.
- Escalates policy violations to Department Leadership as needed.
- Bank Processing – Cash/Checks
- Deposits checks into operating and fundraising accounts in bank remotely.
- Maintains accurate accounting of cash availability for operating account.
A successful Staff Accountant will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and vision
- A four-year college degree (graduate degree and/or certification in finance, accounting, or related fields, preferred)
- 5 years of more relevant work experience
- Experience in non-profit accounting practices
- Strong computer skills including Financial Edge, Expensify, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), presentation formats, data entry
- Strong written and verbal communications skills (phone, email, in-person, videoconference, etc.)
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work throughout all levels and locations of the organization
- High detail orientation
- Service oriented mindset
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines
- A commitment to confidentiality
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter online (link to EL’s Career Page) in MS Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor