Seventh & Eight Grade Math Teacher & Crew Lead The Odyssey School of Denver
- Date Posted
- Partner Schools
- Denver, Colorado
Denver is a diverse, K-8 Expeditionary Learning (EL) charter school. We believe in teaching students how to learn through a focus on academic achievement, critical thinking, and social responsibility, preparing them for high school and beyond. Our EL curriculum is supported by a robust outdoor Adventure program in which all students and staff participate. The seventh/eighth grade Math Teacher and Crew Lead works with staff and students to design, implement, and support the educational program of the Odyssey School of Denver in a manner that is true to the principles of EL Education and the mission and vision of the school.
Primary responsibilities include:
● Building Crew & Character
○ Build school culture and foster character through practices that bring the community together, promote shared understanding, and encourage all community members to become crew, not passengers
○ Ensure equity and have high expectations by creating and adapting structures to ensure that all students have access to comprehensive and challenging curriculum
● Planning, Instruction, & Assessment
○ Develop compelling unit and daily math lesson plans while being a critical consumer of curriculum
○ Consistently use instructional practices that are engaging and promote equity and high expectations through reading and writing across the disciplines, utilizing inquiry-based approaches, and effective instructional practices that make rich content come alive, ensure all students think and participate, and allow the teacher to know all students and their thinking well.
○ Utilize effective assessment practices to analyze student work and evidence of student thinking to understand learning and to shape instruction.
● Family Communication
○ Make families welcome, know them well, engage them actively in the life of the school, and communicate regularly with them.
○ Make use of effective classroom management practices and communicate challenges and celebrations with parents
● Professionalism & Responsibilities
○ Participate in a strong professional culture that is sustained via collective leadership and action.
○ Observe and support the Odyssey staff community courtesies and Habits.
○ Work with the Adventure Director to schedule, plan, and support facilitation of two overnight trips per year, as well as a variety of Adventure days throughout the year, and coordinate parent chaperones.
○ Attend and participate in all Staff Council and professional development meetings. Avoid scheduling conferences, medical appointments, etc. during these times.
○ Be prompt for school, meeting and supervision responsibilities.
● Must be a self-aware, mission-driven, solutions-oriented, team player looking to become an expert learner.
● Commitment to outdoor education and adventure programming for students.
● Certified teacher with 2 or more years of experience leading a classroom
● Experience with EL curriculum or project-based learning a plus but not required
This is a full-time position (195 days as described in the school calendar) between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022. Compensation is based on experience and includes health and retirement benefits.