- EL Education
- Instructional Support
- Oakland, CA area required ; additional national travel required (up to 30%)
ABOUT EL Education
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit ELeducation.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Senior Professional Development Specialist, Curriculum Partnerships works closely with the Director, Curriculum Partnerships and other members of the Curriculum Implementation Team to provide professional development and related services to district partnerships in order to maximize impact. S/he will work closely with the Curriculum Design Team to understand deeply the research, design, and theory of action of EL Education’s curriculum and instructional model. s. S/he will work closely with the Program Team to ensure the development of high-quality professional development materials that serve the needs of EL Education’s partners. The Senior Professional Development Specialist, Curriculum Partnerships is responsible for maintaining a high level of expertise related to EL Education’s intellectual property, facilitation techniques and instructional model (i.e., curriculum, institutes, publications, core practices, etc.). S/he will support the Director, Curriculum Partnerships in training field staff to deliver high-quality professional development and coaching services to partners to drive towards impact goals. S/he will design and deliver professional, skilled presentations and high-quality professional development for a variety of national audiences and within partnerships. This is a full-time, national position that reports to the Director, Curriculum Partnerships.
This position is grant funded. Contract extension beyond grant expiration (2 years) is possible but not guaranteed.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create program materials to ensure high quality delivery of services across partnerships on EL Education’s Curriculum Implementation Team in order to achieve impact goals
- Deliver coaching, professional development and high-quality presentations to diverse audiences
- In conjunction with the Director, Curriculum Partnerships strategize and support execution of large district partnership contracts and work plans
- Build relationships with school and district leaders in district partnerships
- Support, mentor and empower field staff to deliver services with partner districts
- In collaboration with the Director, Curriculum Partnerships, manage the ongoing relationship, operations, scheduling, etc. with district partners
- Support the creation and implementation of annual work plans with partners in conjunction with school leaders and other EL Education field staff
- Develop and apply progress monitoring tools to measure progress and inform results
- Deliver district-wide, school wide, and national, direct services within partnerships (professional development, coaching, and strategic planning)
- Work with Director, Curriculum Partnerships to ensure proper staffing plans for direct services
- Represent EL Education with teachers and district and building-level leaders in meetings, information sessions and presentations
- Support the creation and development of proposals and presentations (RFP’s for curriculum, state level presentations, etc.)
A successful candidate will have:
- Masters Degree in education or literacy preferred
- Teaching experience (at least 5 years); school or district leadership experience Experience with leading/coordinating implementation of literacy curricula at a schoolwide and/or district level
- Expertise in EL Education’s curriculum materials and instructional model; curriculum design experience preferred
- Experience successfully planning complex, long-term projects and partnerships A track record of strong facilitation of professional development
- Ability to travel frequently between district partners
- Knowledge of best instructional practice specifically in K-8 literacy
- Experience in facilitation and creation of professional development agendas and content
- Passion for EL Education’s mission
- Passionate, unequivocal conviction that EL’s curriculum will help fulfill on our mission and support student achievement
- A collaborative, entrepreneurial, and flexible professional approach to work Data driven and results oriented
- Flexible and willing to change course as needed to support reaching goals for maximum impact
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (phone, e-mail, video conference, etc.)
- Expertise with a wide variety of online tools and programs (Google suite, Adobe Connect, Zoom, etc.)
- Able to quickly develop relationships based on trust with team members and partners
- Travel will be required up to 30%
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time- off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
The anticipated start date for this position is August, 2019. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website.
In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor