- Date Posted
- EL Education
- Instructional Support
- Remote location considered
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Originating over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education’s research-based approach inspires teachers and challenges students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Our impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness as well as pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and the passion and capacity to contribute to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district, charter, elementary and secondary, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including an open source literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed professional development and instructional resources with our 150+ school partners in 39 states, serving over 50,000 students. For more information, visit www.ELeducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Managing Director, Partnerships the Senior Director, Quality and Impact is a critical leadership position that seeks to ensure implementation of EL Education’s core instructional model and related instructional strategies to achieve excellent and equitable outcomes across the Three Dimensions of Student Achievement in schools nationally. The Senior Director will work cross functionally with internal departments and a diverse portfolio of schools to create the conditions that enable all educators to provide rigorous and authentic experiences for all students, in every EL school, particularly historically underserved populations. The Director,establishes direction for school improvement based on continuous improvement through ongoing progress monitoring of school performance and student achievement. The Senior Director will work with the Research Team at EL Education to evolve the credentialing standard, a national standard of school excellence that embodies EL Education’s multi-dimensional view of student achievement.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
Impact and Quality Oversight
- In collaboration with Research Team
- support redesign of the credentialing process in order to achieve equitable and excellent outcomes for all students
- develop strategic plans grounded in continuous improvement and implementation of the EL Education model and core practices that put more schools on track to achieve the credential
- Ensure that directors and all partnership staff use a common school quality review process that leads to access to a credential and disrupts historical patterns of inequities in outcomes for students
- Create opportunities for leadership teams and teachers to reflect on their practice while engaging in the systemic improvement of practice over time in every classroom
Credentialed School Portfolio Management
- Set strategic vision for a portfolio of credentialed and mentor school partners
- Oversee execution of earned fee revenue and philanthropic opportunities to drive resources for sustainable and impactful partnerships aligned with EL Education’s theory of change
- With the Managing Directors, establish routines and systems for bringing additional schools into the credentialed portfolio
- Innovate and evolve the suite of services for the portfolio of partners and create networking opportunities across partnerships
- In collaboration with direct reports, actively monitor progress of partners to ensure disruption of patterns of inequity in outcomes for students
- Intervene as needed to address barriers to impact
Performance Management and Talent Development
- Recruit, support, supervise and retain a diverse team of direct reports
- Evaluate and support the director(s) in oversight of their partnerships in order to achieve excellent and equitable outcomes
- Provide differentiated coaching to direct reports and ensure each direct report in developing new skills to effectively serve partners and lead teams
- Ensure ongoing talent management, bench building and career development across team
- Leverage and integrate various capacities of the national organization (e.g. program, research, marketing, finance, development) to support partners and EL Education staff
- Deliver direct service to selected partners when appropriate and necessary
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Estimated travel: 40% on average
(examples of travel may include: in-person meetings with potential school/district partners, delivery of professional development, internal team meetings, internal leadership meetings with colleagues, select industry conferences to promote EL Education’s awareness, etc.)
- 5+ years of demonstrated success with developing and executing impactful partnerships with schools, districts and instructional leaders
- Knowledge of school quality and improvement process that lead to excellent and equitable outcomes for students
- Demonstrated experience in successfully designing and delivering high quality professional development for teachers and leaders
- 3+ years of demonstrated effectiveness in leading, managing, and building capacity of high-performing teams
- Strong knowledge of creating an evidence-based culture of continuous learning
- Previous experience as a school, district or state level leadership role, preferred
- Previous experience with deep community engagement initiatives, preferred
- Ability to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds, particularly in larger urban settings.
- Ability to navigate complex systems and political landscapes, including successfully dealing with ambiguity to achieve desired outcomes/goals, as needed
- A drive to think strategically to solve challenging educational issues.
- Exceptional abilities to build relationships, forge alliances and garner trust.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (including group facilitation skills)
- Excellent organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment and take calculated risk
- A commitment to respecting and increasing diversity through inclusive practices
- Ability to create and implement innovative solutions to address systemic educational issues
- A growth mindset for the students, teachers and classrooms they serve – and most of all for him or herself.
- Commitment to and knowledge of EL Education’s approach to teaching and learning, including EL Education’s vision of student achievement.
- Commitment to leveraging this role to identify and disrupt patterns of inequity within districts and schools
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 40%
- Master’s degree in education, educational leadership or related field, strongly preferred
We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online at www.ELeducation.org in the Careers section. No phone calls please. Thank you.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor