- EL Education
- Instructional Support
- Oakland, CA
ABOUT EL EDUCATION
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible. Created over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education’s research-based approach challenges and empowers teachers and students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning.
Students’ impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness, pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and a passion for contributing to a better world. As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district and charter from pre-K through 12th grade, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country.
We create powerful resources--including a literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed materials and masterful coaching with our 150+ school partners serving over 50,000 students in 30 states. For more information, visit www.ELeducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The School Designer collaborates with school partners to lead strategic school improvement to transform student achievement through implementation of the EL Core Practices and EL Education’s design principles. This position may also include strategic and tactical support to districts in implementing student-engaged assessment, as well as EL Education’s Common Core literacy curriculum and instructional practices. The School Designer works in four to eight schools, collaborating with a team of EL Education coaches and regional leadership.
The School Designer position is an ideal opportunity for someone to play an active role in a growing and dynamic organization that is committed to helping students across the U.S. attain high levels of academic achievement in essential knowledge and skills, high quality work and character. Specific responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
School-based Professional Development and Leadership Support
- Working with school leaders and teachers to identify their needs and assets and develop strategic plans to reach organizational goals through implementation of EL Education
- Assisting teachers and leaders in organizing and developing high quality curriculum aligned to standards and EL Core Practices
- Coaching for implementation of active and engaging instructional practices that promote equity and high expectations
- Establishing practices that build school culture and foster character development
- Guiding school leadership in developing systems and structures to support sustained implementation
- Designing strategic and customized professional development and coaching cycles to support the work and build leadership capacity
District-level Professional Development
- Providing strategic planning support to district and charter leaders in collaboration with the leadership team
- Designing and leading high-quality, engaging professional development, in collaboration with internal team members, that supports educators in:Leadership development
- Implementation of EL’s Common Core literacy curriculum and Common Core aligned instructional and assessment strategies
- Supporting the development and dissemination of EL professional development aligned to the Common Core and other best practices in multiple formats:
- Face-to-face professional institutes agenda development and facilitation
- Virtual/blended professional development agenda development and facilitation
- Co-creating agendas, supporting materials, videos, webinars, etc. to memorialize and standardize the professional development sequences related to our clients
- Other responsibilities to be assigned as needed
School Designers believe deeply in EL Education’s mission and display a record of achievement.
A successful candidate will have:
- A master’s degree in education, leadership or a related field
- Required minimum 5 years classroom teaching experience, preferably in EL Education or similar schools in an urban setting
- Significant experience in school and/or district leadership with an emphasis on school reform and organizational change
- Remarkable leadership qualities, national caliber presentation, facilitation, and organizational skills, and personal characteristics to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds
- Proven experience and deep craft in the development and delivery of professional development
- Strong background in reading and writing across the curriculum, data-driven planning and project-based learning
- Self-directed and proactive in coming to solutions for complex organizational and conceptual challenges
- Exceptional organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Experience with or enthusiasm for working with virtual teams across different geographical sites
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with a record of high performance in a variety of roles on teams
- Willingness to travel up to 40% and work flexible hours (e.g. ability to work and travel some weekends with comp days in return)
- Residence in (or willingness to move to) the Bay area (Oakland preferred)
- Primary literacy expertise preferred
- Spanish speaking ability preferred
- Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online. No phone calls or emails please. Thank you.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter (in MS Word or PDF format) and identify the position for which you are applying.
EL will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor