- EL Education
- Instructional Support
- California (Preferred: Greater Los Angeles Area, Greater San Diego Area, or Greater Bay Area)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Originating over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education's research-based approach inspires teachers and challenges students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Our impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness as well as pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and the passion and capacity to contribute to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district, charter, elementary and secondary, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including an open source literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed professional development and instructional resources with our 150+ school partners in 39 states, serving over 50,000 students. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org/.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The School Designer acts as the strategic thought-partner and capacity builder for a school's leadership team. School Designers play an integral role toward our goals with partners - impact educator effectiveness and improve student achievement through the implementation of the EL Education Core Practices and EL Education’s Design Principles. This position may also include strategic and tactical support to districts in implementing student-engaged assessment practices, as well as EL Education’s K-5 Literacy and Grades 6-8 ELA Curriculums. The School Designer works in four to eight schools, collaborating with a team of EL Education coaches and regional leadership.
The School Designer position is an ideal opportunity for someone to play an active role in a growing and dynamic organization that is committed to helping students across the U.S. attain high levels of academic achievement in essential knowledge and skills, high quality work and character.
Specific responsibilities include:
School-based Professional Development and Leadership Support
- Working alongside school leaders and lead teachers to identify needs and assets, and develop strategic plans to reach goals through implementation of EL Education Core Practices.
- Supporting teachers and leaders in organizing and developing high quality curriculum aligned to standards and EL Core Practices.
- Coaching for implementation of active and engaging instructional practices that promote equity and high expectations for all learners.
- Establishing practices that cultivate a strong school culture and foster character development.
- Guiding school leadership in developing systems and structures to support sustained school improvement through the implementation of the EL Education Core Practices.
- Designing strategic and customized professional development and coaching cycles to support specific partner goals and build leadership capacity.
- Navigating grey areas with a deep sense of humility while building strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Proactively engaging in crucial conversations to create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
District-level Professional Development
- Supporting school leaders when engaging district-level leaders in their site-based improvement process.
- Providing strategic, multi-year, planning support to district and CMO leaders in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Designing and leading high-quality, engaging professional development, in collaboration with internal team members, that supports educators in leadership development.
- Implementation of EL Education’s Grades K-5 Literacy and Grades 6-8 ELA Curriculums, included the embedded instructional and assessment practices.
Program Development and Facilitation
- Supporting the development and dissemination of EL professional development aligned to the new learning standards and other best practices in multiple formats:
- Face-to-face professional institutes agenda development and facilitation;
- Online/blended professional development agenda development and facilitation;
- Co-creating agendas, supporting materials, videos, webinars, etc. to memorialize and standardize the professional development sequences related to our partners;
- Other responsibilities to be assigned as needed.
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission.
- A master’s degree in education, leadership or a related field.
- Required minimum 5 years classroom teaching experience, preferably in EL Education or similar schools in an urban setting.
- Significant experience in school and/or district leadership with an emphasis on school reform and organizational change.
- Remarkable leadership qualities, national caliber presentation, facilitation, and organizational skills, and personal characteristics to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds.
- Proven experience and deep craft in the development and delivery of professional development for adult learners.
- Strong background in reading and writing across the content areas, data-driven planning and project-based learning.
- Self-directed and proactive in coming to solutions for complex organizational and conceptual challenges. Exceptional organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- Experience with or enthusiasm for working with virtual teams across different geographical sites.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with a record of high performance in a variety of roles on teams.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% and work flexible hours (e.g. ability to work and travel some weekends with comp days in return).
- Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Willingness to travel around 50% and work flexible hours (e.g. ability to work and travel outside of traditional hours; travel some weekends with comp days in return).
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
The anticipated start date for this position is April 1st, 2020. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard about the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor