- Date Posted
- Partner Schools
- Office manager
- Grass Valley, CA
SAEL OFFICE MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTIONSierra Academy of Expeditionary Learning strives to create a learning community that empowers staff, teachers, and students. Staff are expected to maintain an ethic of excellence in their practice and to encourage students to do the same. Through a passionate and dedicated commitment to the success of each and every student, SAEL staff are responsible for creating a school environment that holds students to high academic and character standards while also supporting students to be able to achieve these expectations.
This job description is meant to provide structure to the responsibilities and accountability of this position. There may be additional responsibilities that a staff member undertakes or that are assigned as needs of students and of the school arise. Staff report to the SAEL Administrator.
Based on the needs of the students and the school, the Office Manager is responsible for:
This position manages the operation of a start-up, charter, high school office. The position serves as secretary to the Principal and other assigned administrators, and provides various support services for students, parents/guardians, staff, and the public. The position promotes positive public relations for the school at all times.
- Managing the operation of the central school office. Greeting parents/guardians, students and visitors entering the office and provides assistance. Answering the telephone and responding to inquiries; screening calls for the Principal. Receiving and distributing mail.
- Providing secretarial assistance to the Principal and other administrators as assigned; maintaining appointment calendar; scheduling meetings. Compiling data for and preparing reports and lists. Formatting and typing correspondence, forms, memoranda, and reports from handwritten drafts or dictation; duplicating materials. May attend meetings to record and transcribe meeting minutes.
- Supporting the collecting, distributing, monitoring and ensuring all cumulative file paperwork is in order, especially in the beginning of the school year as new students join the school program.
- Collecting and documenting all fees and donations; Calling and communicating with home to ensure reminders and accurate information is given and fees are received.
- Supporting the Office Aide with all attendance records and reports; supporting full time, part time, and substitute staff and teachers in taking attendance if needed; calling home when students are absent or late; Helping to monitor all students with frequent absences or latenesses in order to track and recommend students for the SARB process.
- Being meticulous in all aspects of the paperwork and accounting required.
- Supporting the SAEL Administrator in making arrangements for office coverage, teacher coverage and overload assistance; coordinating special projects. Overseeing the work of student office assistants and community volunteers.
- Working as clerical support for SARC, LCAP, CA State Dashboard, and other state initiatives. Seeking information if it is not known or understood yet.
- Supporting the SAEL Fieldwork/Adventure Coordinator in receiving waivers and communicating with parents/guardians and students when appropriate.
- Maintaining records and files for staff and student information; maintaining staff absence records and preparing payroll as assigned. Handling all aspects of payroll. Handling the paperwork onboarding and exiting of staff, including explaining insurance, leave, and other basic policies to staff members.
- Arranging for assignment and release of substitute personnel in coordination with the SAEL Administrator. Greeting substitutes and provides information concerning assignment.
- Working directly with CSMC to support budget and day to day financial paperwork and planning; Maintaining accounting ledgers for general SAEL budgets; monitoring budget balances as appropriate and assigned by the SAEL Administrator and providing information to staff members when appropriate; researching charges as needed. Doing invoice allocation sheets, ensuring invoices are paid as directed, and working with vendors to maintain positive relationships and payments.
- Supporting the ordering and management of standardized testing materials as well as navigating the online testing registration systems and structures.
- Processing free and reduced lunch application forms; evaluating and approving forms per guidelines; informing parents/guardians; maintaining records. Supervising distribution, retrieval and compilation of information for federal survey.
- Requisitioning, receiving, accounting for, and distributing school supplies and materials under the direction of the SAEL Administrator. Taking periodic inventory. Providing information to staff members concerning supply orders.
- Distributing and monitoring building keys in collaboration with appropriate district personnel; Troubleshooting problems with office equipment and calling for service as necessary. Collaborating with and writing work orders for custodial and maintenance personnel. May communicate with Transportation Department concerning student transportation arrangements.
- Providing clerical assistance to teachers, itinerant staff, and/or parent/guardian/community organization as requested. Coordinating a variety of school programs such as ID creation, voter registration, school pictures, and other activities as assigned.
- Supervising students who come into the office; monitoring student behavior. Taking an active role in shaping a positive community culture for the school. Providing basic first aid medical care to ill or injured students in the absence of the school nurse; calling parents and makes arrangements for transportation home as necessary. Giving medication as authorized.
- Coordinating activities involved with opening and closing of school, such as preparing handbooks and schedules.
- Maintaining school office files, including but not limited to cumulative folders and transcripts; Ensuring that information is kept in a confidential manner. Coordinating distribution of student progress reports to teachers; receiving completed forms; distributing copies to appropriate parties; Maintaining files. Serving as registrar for the school.
- Assisting in screening applicants for school clerical positions; providing input to Principal concerning suitability of applicants.
- Promoting positive relations with parents/guardians and the general public concerning the school. Answering inquiries; researching data to provide information concerning school programs as requested.
- Acting as a representative of the school at outreach functions and events through a consistent, positive message around the school program and progress.
- Working collaboratively with the NJUHSD on issues of oversight and quarterly reporting compliance. Working closely with the NCSOS on certification support. Working closely with any other district or educational entities as needed.
- Seeking, planning, attending, and facilitating outreach and marketing efforts for SAEL in the greater community.
- Upholding SAEL norms and standards of excellence at all times while at SAEL or representing SAEL.
- Working to create SAEL with a student-first, growth mindset-based approach to tasks and processes including, but not limited to our WASC accreditation, A-G class certification, Restorative Justice-based Discipline Policy, Expeditionary Learning Credentialing Process and annual Implementation Review, Charter renewal, Teacher Support and Accountability, SAEL Professional Development planning and facilitation, Data Inquiry and Analysis, LCAP creation, Expeditionary Learning Work Plan creation, etc.
- Willing to respond in a timely manner to e-mails, voice mails, and calendar requests
- Coordinating clerical activities for graduation, banquet, barbecue and other gatherings and ceremonies. May submit order for diplomas, type graduation program and/or distribute honor awards. Proofreading programs and graduate listings. Providing other assistance for graduation as requested.
- Reporting directly to the SAEL Administrator
- Willing to respond in a timely manner to e-mails, voice mails, and calendar requests
- Performing a variety of related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Striving to do more than you think possible.
SAEL is an equal opportunity employer.We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.JOB REQUIREMENTS - QUALIFICATIONS:
The ideal applicant will have:
- Experience working as a successful Office Manager
- Experience working with school information systems, reporting, invoices, payroll, and other databases
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Experience working with young people in an educational or other setting
- Proficiency in Google Apps for Education
- Experience in dealing with staff, students, and parents
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district, State and Federal requirements and Board of Trustee policies.
- Valid First Aid card and CPR Certificate or ability to obtain one. Valid California drivers’ license and evidence of insurance. Certification in non-violent crisis interventions.
- Fingerprint/criminal justice clearance
- Tuberculosis clearance
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; and crawl. The employee must occasionally lift, carry, push, pull, and/or move up to 75 pounds such as paper. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision.
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED: (emailed to Principal Crane at Ecrane@sierraacademy.net)
- Resume and SAEL Application for Classified Staff
- 2 Letters of Recommndation
- 3 References
- Portfolio of sample work completed to high standards of meticulousness and care
Commensurate with experience based on Classified Salary Schedule for Office Manager
- Salaried with benefits
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M - Fri
- See Appendix A for School Calendar
EMPLOYMENT AT WILL:
SAEL may terminate the Employee Agreement and Employee’s employment at any time with or without cause, with or without advance notice, at SAEL’s sole and unreviewable discretion. Either party may immediately terminate this Agreement and Employee’s employment upon written notice to the other party.
Employee also may be demoted or disciplined and the terms of his or her employment may be altered at any time, with or without cause, at the discretion of SAEL. No one other than the Board of SAEL has the authority to alter this arrangement, to enter into an agreement for employment for a specified period of time, or to make any agreement contrary to the term of this Agreement, and any such agreement must be in writing and must be signed by the Board of SAEL and by the affected employee and must specifically state the intention to alter this “at-will” relationship.
In the event of charter revocation or non-renewal, all contractual obligations under the Employee Agreement cease immediately upon the effective date of revocation or non-renewal.