PRESCHOOL (4K) AND ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM TEACHERS - One City Expeditionary School
- Date Posted
- Partner Schools
- Madison, WI
We are hiring Preschool (4K) and Elementary Classroom Teachers who are fun, energetic, inspiring and nurturing of the
students they teach, and who want to work with One City to help build one of the most unique and transformational public
schools in Wisconsin: One City Expeditionary School (OCES). You must have a deep passion and commitment for working
with young children and their families, and for collaborating with your colleagues and experts in the fields your students are
studying as well. Our teaching positions include competitive pay, comprehensive benefits and an unbelievable opportunity
to help redefine public education in Wisconsin and do something exceptional for children. One City Teachers demonstrate a strong commitment to achieving results through a creative use of resources, using
evidence and data to inform instruction, involving parents and community volunteers in the education process, being open to evaluation and coaching support, and utilizing AnjiPlay and EL Education model practices, rigorous academic programs and targeted interventions (RTI) so students become self-directed learners prepared for college and career success.
Friday, May 10, 2019 or Until Filled
We are recruiting for Fall 2019-20. We will begin interviewing and hiring teachers as completed applications are received. We encourage you to get your application in as soon as possible.
One City Schools is a Wisconsin-based nonprofit organization that provides high quality educational opportunities for young
children. Our mission is to prepare young children for success in school and life and ensure they are on track to succeed in
a rigorous educational program in high school. Our vision is of a Greater Madison community where there are no
persistent achievement and opportunity gaps, and where all children are prepared to contribute and succeed as adults.
More importantly, we aim to partner with families and the broader community to cultivate children who become free,
global and deep thinkers, curious learners, effective problem solvers, humanitarians, happy people and young people who
care about the world around them.
One City Expeditionary School (OCES) is a unique, two-generation public school, authorized by the University of Wisconsin
System Board of Regents, that provides a tuition-free education to children in grades 4K through Grade 1 in South Madison
and works directly with families to ensure children are learning, inspired and making solid progress (Note: We will add a
minimum of one grade per year until we reach grade 6). We also have a longer school year (219 days vs 180 days in
traditional public schools) and a longer school day (8:15am to 5pm daily, including 90-minute co-curricular learning
academies in Sports, Fitness, STEM and Creative and Performing Arts.
OCES is also an EL Education Network School, offering the highly regarded Expeditionary Learning curriculum in
kindergarten and first grade (and eventually through grade 6). Our 4K program is built exclusively around the AnjiPlay
program from Anji, China. AnjiPlay will also serve as a supplement to children in Kindergarten and above as well.
One City Teachers assure that all students receive a high quality and inspiring learning experience that helps them reach their full potential. They provide a warm, nurturing, safe and loving environment where self-esteem is enhanced,
independence encouraged, and individuality is respected. Teachers will also be expected to assist with the full implementation of EL Education (aka Expeditionary Learning), AnjiPlay and Eureka Math Curricula, and attend related school visits and professional development. Specific performance responsibilities include:
• Establish a classroom culture that is safe, collaborative, celebratory and intellectually challenging for all students,
and that learning goals for all students are met;
• Develop and execute units of study and lesson plans that align State Standards, AnjiPlay, EL Education and Eureka
Math practices to promote students’ in-depth understanding, critical thinking, problem solving, mastery of
knowledge and skills, character development, achievement and commitment to high quality work;
• Monitor and supervise effective classroom and school-wide structures that promote active, student-driven
learning and positive student behavior and safety;
• Maintain an orderly, academically-focused classroom environment and effective management of instructional
materials and records;
• Keep current in knowledge and practice of the curriculum, child development and relevant theories of learning,
and be willing to share their knowledge for continual improvement of One City’s educational program and
• Assist in on-going curriculum reviews, including offering feedback on school and program effectiveness.
• Become acquainted with supplemental materials and services beneficial to students as an extension of regular
• Build and maintain positive and engaging relationships with parents/families and work cooperatively with them to
strengthen the educational program for their children.
• Utilize effective practices for community building, including rituals and traditions that build a safe, inclusive, and
• Utilize authentic formative and summative assessments to gauge learning, guide instruction, and provide timely
feedback to students;
• Participate in regular and ongoing professional development efforts and working collaboratively with grade
band/level planning to constantly improve professional practice;
• Participate fully and positively in a staff culture and the relentless pursuit of our mission; and
• Work cooperatively with grade level and the school team in all areas of instruction, assessment, documentation,
parent/guardian involvement, and classroom management.
• Model appropriate behavior rooted in One City’s Habits of Character: integrity, self-respect, compassion,
perseverance and a willingness to encourage and allow students to take risks;
• Maintain appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance & appropriate use of planning time;
• Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with other staff members;
• Strive to communicate the positive aspects of One City to the public in word and deed;
• Help maintain a clean an orderly educational environment and facility, and at all times and shows grace and
support when engaging children, parents and guests who utilize or visit One City; and
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in early childhood to elementary education, or related field.
• Valid Wisconsin Educators License or willingness to become certified ASAP.
• Minimum of three years teaching experience; urban teaching experience and teaching children from racial, ethnic
and linguistically diverse backgrounds preferred.
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive, and desire to be innovative, receive and provide feedback, and try
new strategies with students.
• Ability to regularly and routinely lift and push at least 50 pounds.
• Completion of a background check required.
• Be at least 18 years of age.
• Experience in Expeditionary Learning (or student-led project-based learning) a plus.
• Strong commitment to the mission, vision, goals and objectives of One City, and to working to with young children
from diverse racial/cultural populations and their families; experience working with diverse children preferred
WHAT WE OFFER TEACHERS: COMPENSATION AND EVALUATION
One City offers salaries and wages that are competitive within our local market and area public schools, as well as
comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees. Benefits include:
• Salaries: $40K to $70K, depending on education, experience & demonstrated impact
• 11-month contract with a standard work day and dedicated planning time each week; closed one week in June and
four weeks in August (except for teacher training days)
• Generous time-off program, including 18 Days of PTO and holidays, including spring break and winter break (same
dates as the Madison Metropolitan School District)
• Comprehensive health benefits (medical, dental and vision)
• Comprehensive professional development in student-driven, project-based learning models
• 401K with employer match of 5.9%
• Voluntary Benefits (Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
• Your age-eligible children automatically admitted to One City Expeditionary School
• 25% off tuition for first child enrolled in our Junior Preschool (ages 1 to 3); 10% off for 2nd child
• Family Perks Discount Program (https://ocs.abenity.com)
• Life Insurance and Long-term Disability
• Investment in Professional Growth and Development
• Employee Assistant Plan
Compensation will be consistent with One City’s approved compensation plan as stipulated by the Board of Directors
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
One City is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all team members and
applicants, and to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
APPLYING FOR THE POSITION
Please complete the online application located on Indeed by clicking here: https://www.indeedjobs.com/one... or copying and pasting this web-page into your web browser.