- Date Posted
- EL Education
- National HQ
- Remote, Travel 30%
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit ELeducation.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Multimedia Producer will produce engaging, informative, and inspiring multimedia products (e.g., videos, podcasts, photographs, interactive digital products) in collaboration with national school partners and EL Education staff. A member of the Creative Team and working closely with/reporting to the Associate Director of Multimedia, the Multimedia Producer will produce new content as well as manage and track analytics of our growing collection on multiple channels (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo). They will perform pre-production (research, plan, and prepare the content and logistics of the production), production (travel across the country to schools and work with educators and students to create media, capturing learning and interviewing subjects), and post-production (editing media into effective stories through rounds of revision with the input of a review team).
For examples of existing media, the EL Education video collection can be found here.
More information about the position can be found here.
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. As an equal opportunity employer committed to racial equity and social justice, we make a particular effort to recruit people who identify as Black, Indigenous, and people of color, and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Working closely with/reporting to the Associate Director of Multimedia, the Multimedia Producer performs pre-production, onsite/remote production, and post-production to create high quality media products (e.g., videos, podcasts, photographs, interactive digital products).
- Research content of the media (e.g. instructional practice or student project) and co-plan production, including interview questions. Consider purpose (e.g. instructional, marketing), and audience (e.g. teachers, funders, district leaders) when planning production.
- Work with school(s) to plan logistics of production (e.g., schedules, travel, meals) and create production schedules to capture needed media with minimal disruption to student learning.
- Create a review schedule for post-production accommodating schedules of members of the review team.
- Prepare any consultants or co-workers for their roles in production (e.g. content consulting, coaching/preparation support for featured educators, recording audiovisuals).
- Determine equipment needs and prepare equipment.
- Travel approximately 30% to schools around the U.S. Some remote production will occur as well.
- Capture (with high quality audiovisual recording) teaching and learning to create engaging media stories that communicate EL Education's messages and practices, leaving a light footprint on the school or site while there.
- Conduct interviews
- Manage equipment
- Build relationships with students and educators for ongoing work
- Media management: offloading, organizing, ordering transcripts
- Edit: paper edits, video/audio editing, music underscoring
- Review and revision: provide cuts, receive feedback, implement some feedback
- Finishing: audio mixing, color correction, proofing/quality checks
- Graphics may be created or directed to a consultant.
- Upload media to EL Education’s channels (e.g. Vimeo, YouTube) and website; update catalog.
- Work with the communications team on distribution/promotion.
- Order and edit captions, order subtitles, post transcripts to website.
- Track engagement data and analytics.
Communication, Collaboration, and Relationship Building
- Collaborate with the Creative Team (Marketing, Communications, Publications, Graphic Design) to strategically integrate media into our platforms (e.g. social media), publications (e.g. books, articles, blogs, annual report), communications (e.g. internal and external newsletters), and events (e.g. National Conference/Virtual Summit, Gala, Staff Gathering).
- Collaborate with multimedia consultants to produce media.
- Collaborate with school communities (students, teachers, leaders, and other staff, families/community members) to tell authentic stories into which they have input, and build relationships for future work.
- Build relationships with other EL Education staff members at meetings and staff events.
- Collaborate with certain EL Education staff members on production and distribution (e.g. content consulting, coaching educators, soliciting ideas for new media products), helping them navigate our collections and select particular media for various uses (e.g., professional development).
- Clearly communicate timelines, roles, and responsibilities with reasonable input from those involved.
Global and Cultural Effectiveness
- Work to ensure diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are reflected in products:
- Representation of diverse educators, students, and communities, broadly defined
- Representation of diverse perspectives and approaches within EL Education’s practices and messages
- Media products have accessible language (vs. jargon) and legible visuals
- Media products have accurate English captions and Spanish subtitles (which we subcontract)
- Explicit anti-racist and anti-bias messages and models will be included in certain products
- Work to ensure diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are reflected in processes:
- Collaborate across lines of difference within a wide range of social identities and educational contexts
- Practice equity pauses and activate curiosity when making decisions and recommendations
- Productions accommodate needs of all stakeholders; needs are surfaced and supports are put into place
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
An ideal candidate will have the following demonstrated skills and competencies:
- Strong storytelling skills in various formats
- Recording and editing (photography, video, audio)
- Ability to recognize strong instructional practices and powerful student learning, using a growth mindset
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom, Digital Audio Workstations (e.g. Reaper) OR willingness to learn these programs
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA)
- Experience working in culturally and linguistically diverse communities; an asset-based approach to communicating across difference
- Highly collaborative, communicative, and organized
- Able to set and follow timelines and budgets and to balance workload
- Knowledge of/experience in/passion about education and youth empowerment
- Graphics/motion graphics skills preferred
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, and more.
HOW TO APPLY
The anticipated start date for this position is October 25, 2021. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter online (link to EL’s Career Page) in MS Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all diverse backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor