Multi-grade 6th-8th teacher in a farm & wilderness setting in Taos County, NM for the 2021-2022 school year
- Date Posted
- Partner Schools
Roots & Wings Community School is a small public charter school located in a rural, high desert, mountainous environment north of Taos, New Mexico. The sun is bright, the snow deep, the roads dirt, the air pure, the work demanding, the teaching exciting, the kids curious, and the life rewarding. Our 50 students in grades K-8 are diverse, quirky, and inquisitive. Our tiny campus is nestled in the foothills at 8,500 feet and is surrounded by 700 acres of open fields, farms, and forests. Founded in 2000, RWCS was the first Expeditionary Learning (EL Education) school in the state and is known for its EL-inspired and adventurous curriculum, outdoor focus, and integrated, project-based learning approach.
You will be expected to:
● Cultivate and sustain an inclusive and positive classroom culture through social and emotional well-being practices and the RWCS HOWLs (Habits of Work and Learning) and character traits.
● Plan and implement thematic, core-aligned, multi-disciplinary, semester-long curricular units (“Learning Expeditions”) that result in meaningful student products presented to authentic audiences.
● Develop and implement rubrics, performance-based assessments, and other classroom tools to assess student learning on a consistent basis.
● Employ multiple instructional strategies to meet diverse learning needs in a multi-grade classroom (6th, 7th, and 8th grade students).
● Bring structured ELA, math, science, and social studies curriculum to life through meaningful, guided discovery, while following a recommended instructional scope and sequence.
● Prepare students for state-mandated standardized tests by placing an emphasis on critical thinking and problem-solving skills, rather than on rote memorization.
● Plan and implement rigorous, relevant, off-campus field work and service experiences.
● Plan and lead week-long wilderness backpacking trips alongside a trip-planning team.
● Give and receive feedback in a professional learning community consisting of RWCS teachers and staff.
● Use proficiency-based assessments of learning for grading and reporting purposes.
● Analyze patterns in summative and formative data to inform responsive instruction.
● Maintain regular and appropriate communication with parents, students, and RWCS staff.
● Encourage inquiry, investigation, curiosity, and wonder.
Required: Must possess or be able to obtain a valid New Mexico Teaching License.
Salary: Salaries & benefits competitive with NM public schools statewide
NOTE: Hiring is conditional upon a cleared FBI background check and verification of all licensure requirements.
Please email your resume and a letter of interest to our main office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes should be sent as a Word Doc or PDF with the file name in the following format: “Resume_first name_last name.” Letters of interest should be sent as a Word Doc or PDF with the file name in the following format: “Letter_firstname_lastname.” Please send all correspondence in the same email (rather than separate emails for resume and letter of interest), and include the word “teacher” in the subject line. If you do not have email access, you may mail your resume and letter of interest to the school at HC 81 Box 22, Questa, NM 87556. For more information about Roots & Wings, please visit our website