- Partner Schools
- Washington, DC
PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLAn award-winning EL Education School in Washington, DC
Middle School Visual Arts Teacher
Capital City is looking for a dedicated and talented Visual Arts Teacher for our middle school program (5th-8th), for the 2018-2019 school year.
This is a 10-month position, which is exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The many and varied responsibilities include:
- Planning and teaching daily classes for groups of 20-25 students
- Utilizing a workshop model to differentiate instruction and promote student engagement
- Developing meaningful learning expeditions and projects
- Designing curriculum maps to sequence the teaching of content
- Regularly assessing student progress and using data to plan for instruction
- Meeting and planning on a weekly basis with a teaching team of middle school specialists
- Supporting classroom teachers in integrating visual arts into the curriculum
- Working to plan for and support students with special needs
- Developing a strong classroom culture through the Development Design model
- Communicating regularly with families
- Involving students in fieldwork and service that deepens understanding and interest
- Attending a summer institute and weekly professional development sessions
- Completing quarterly narrative progress reports
- Non-classroom- related responsibilities such as being a CREW leader, attending student led community meetings, leading after-school arts clubs, potentially serving on teacher-leader committees.
At least two of the following are required: Master’s degree in Arts Education or Art-related field, 3+ years of full-time teaching experience, standard teaching certification. Teachers must also have an undergraduate or graduate major in their field of instruction OR have passed the required Praxis II exam for their discipline. Additionally, candidates should have: a commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse population, experience working in urban environments, strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching in a constructivist way, proven ability to work as a member of a team, strong leadership capabilities, and a commitment to their own learning.Compensation and Benefits: Capital City offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package
To Apply: Email your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title “Middle School Visual Arts Teacher” in the subject line of your email. Visit our website at www.ccpcs.org for additional information about our organization.
About Our School: Capital City was founded in 2000 and now serves 983 students in grades PK-12. In 2012, the entire school relocated to a newly renovated single campus in Ward 4. Capital City has been a model for school reform in the District. The school implements the EL Education model (www.elschools.org). Through this model teachers craft expeditions that incorporate projects, research, fieldwork, and service to support students in meeting rigorous standards. Capital City’s program also emphasizes a strong social curriculum, a commitment to diversity, a strong inclusion model and the integration of arts into the curriculum.
Capital City is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.