- Partner Schools
- English Language Learner Specialist
- Washington, DC
PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL
An award-winning EL Education School in Washington, DC
High School ELL (English Language Learner) Specialist
Capital City High School is looking for a dedicated & talented ELL Specialist with interest and expertise in best practice instruction and pedagogy for ELL students. The ELL Specialist works to oversee the implementation of a strong instructional program for ELLs. The ELL Specialist works with both classroom and inclusion teachers to develop classroom environments that support ELLs and to implement effective instructional strategies. The ELL specialist collects and uses data to ensure individual student progress and program effectiveness. The ELL Specialist is expected to be an expert in strategies for supporting ELLs and is expected to continually increase his/her knowledge and expertise.
The many and varied responsibilities of the ELL Specialist include the following:
- Collaborate with teachers to design and implement engaging instruction that leads to English language fluency for ELLs in all content areas.
- Support teachers in implementing structures and strategies of the SIOP model. Coach inclusion and classroom teachers on instructional delivery. Suggest modifications and supports as well as lesson structures to support ELLs.
- Model best teaching practices with the goal of developing teacher capacity to support specialized instruction and differentiation, and provide accommodations for ELLs. Co-plan and co-teach when appropriate and model best practices for co-teaching.
- Work with inclusion teachers to conduct, organize and analyze on-going assessments of student performance using multiple assessment tools. Analyze data to ensure ELLs are making strong academic progress. Utilize data when planning for individual students.
- Work with teaching teams to develop clear criteria and standards for quality work and regularly examine student work to ensure that it meets increasingly higher standards of quality.
- Plan and deliver professional development to classroom and inclusion teachers on the SIOP model and strategies for supporting ELLs.
- Work with inclusion teachers to ensure strong communication with families regarding service delivery and student progress. Serve as the primary contact with families for students with the highest level of need.
- Support parents in understanding the instructional approach at Capital City and in learning how best to support their children’s learning. Assist with planning and facilitating parent workshops.
Compensation and Benefits: Capital City offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.To Apply: Email your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. Please include the position title “High School ELL Specialist” in the subject line of your email. Visit our website at www.ccpcs.org for additional information about our organization.
About Our School: Capital City was founded in 2000 and now serves 983 students in grades PK-12. In 2012, the entire school relocated to a newly renovated single campus in Ward 4. Capital City has been a model for school reform in the District. The school implements the EL Education model (www.elschools.org). Through this model teachers craft expeditions that incorporate projects, research, fieldwork, and service to support students in meeting rigorous standards. Capital City’s program also emphasizes a strong social curriculum, a commitment to diversity, a strong inclusion model and the integration of arts into the curriculum.
Capital City is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.