Grand Valley Middle School Principal
- Partner Schools
- Parachute, Colorado
Grand Valley Middle School is an EL Education public middle school in Parachute, Colorado, preparing students in grades 6-8 to create their own futures. We are a small school located in the mountains of the Western Slope. As a part of the Garfield 16 school district, our mission is to prepare all students for life in a safe and nurturing environment.
The Garfield 16 Learning Model
We guide this mission by grounding our work in the four pillars of individual student success: personal wellness, agency, intellectual development, and productive citizenship. These pillars are designed to guide our work in classrooms, within and outside our learning time. They are personable and diverse within each student.
We utilize a Personalized Competency Based Learning model. We develop strong relationships with students, provide each student with targeted instruction and support while connecting students with the local community and the world through hands-on projects. We focus not just on instruction but on teaching students how to apply what they are learning in meaningful ways.
The Grand Valley Middle School Principal will provide leadership and administration which will motivate instructional and support personnel to strive for superior performance so as to provide the best possible opportunities for student growth and development, both educationally and personally.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily to perform this job successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The frequency and percentage of time of duties may vary based on building or department assignment.
● MA in Administration/Leadership/Curriculum and Instruction.
● Three+ years of successful middle school teaching experience. Successful experience in middle level administration and supervision experience preferred with demonstrated experience in instructional leadership, school operations, conflict management, budget preparation and resource allocation.
● Colorado Principal/Administrator’s License.
● First Aid Certification, Medication Administration, and CPR required within three months of hire.
● Collect and analyze data regarding the needs and achievement of students, including State assessments, local assessments, progress monitoring data and other pertinent information to monitor the implementation and effectiveness of educational services and programs.
● Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate personnel, establishing clear expectations for roles, responsibilities, and performance to ensure all job responsibilities are met and exceeded. Ensure that personnel evaluation procedures are accomplished in a fair and consistent manner that encourages accountability, growth and excellence, in accordance with law, Board policy, and contractual requirements.
● Ensure that personnel and student record keeping procedures comply with State and federal law and district policy.
● Knowledge of school law.
● Knowledge of data analysis, curriculum, assessment and instruction, budgeting and accounting, special education laws and master agreement/labor regulations.
● Advanced knowledge of ability to develop, monitor and evaluate curriculum, discipline plans, IEP’s, and supervision/safety plans.
● Establish and promote high standards and expectations for all students and staff for academic performance, and behavior.
● Provide and supervise in a fair and consistent manner effective discipline and attendance systems with high standards, consistent with the philosophy, values, and mission of the school and district in accordance with due process and other laws and regulations, ensuring a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among staff and students
● Excellent interpersonal relations and oral and written communication skills.
● Advanced skills in dealing with students and staff with diverse needs at various levels.
● Ability to promote and follow Board and District policies, Superintendent policies and building /department procedures.
● Ability to communicate, interact, and work effectively and cooperatively in a team setting.
● Monitor and improve the quality of classroom instruction by providing continual feedback on instruction, monitoring lesson plans, ensuring adherence to the articulated curriculum and providing ongoing professional learning. Ensure that the instructional programs engage students in learning experiences that will facilitate mastery of the Colorado Academic Standards.
● Lead the Instructional Leadership Team in overseeing the development and implementation of the school’s annual improvement plan, monitoring performance data, planning and implementing professional learning, developing the school-based budget, and building parental and community support.
● Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
● Ability to manage multiple tasks/priorities with frequent interruptions
● Organize school operations around improvement of instruction by maintaining a safe and orderly environment, upholding state laws, Master Agreements, and District Policies, managing personnel, maintaining facility to provide a quality learning environment, efficiently managing fiscal resources, establishing effective public relationships, and coordinating effective instructional programs with a master schedule.
● Incorporate procedures for the early identification of potentially disruptive students and the conditions that create or enhance unacceptable behavior (e.g., bullying), and implement programs to address such conditions.
● Notify immediately appropriate personnel and agencies, and follow established procedures when there is evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or individuals appearing to be under the influence of alcohol, controlled substances, or anabolic steroids.
● Implement procedures for safe storing and integrity of all public and confidential school records.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
● Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
● The physical demands, work environment factors and mental functions described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Superintendent
Direct Reports: Licensed Staff, Classified Staff, and Assistant Principals
BUDGET AND/OR RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY: Building budget.
Application Deadline: March 6, 2020
Application Procedure: APPLY ONLINE
Certified positions require a Colorado certificate or license. Salary is based upon experience and education. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Garfield County School District No. 16 will no longer be accepting paper applications. Please submit your application online at http://www.garfield16.org/ using the AppliTrack link.
Garfield County School District No. 16 is an equal opportunity educational institution and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or disability.