- EL Education
- National HQ
- Amherst, MA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit ELeducation.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Executive Associate to the President & CEO provides support to the CEO. This is a full-time position based in EL Education’s Amherst, MA office. The Executive Associate must be organized and enjoy working in an entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven and results-oriented. The ideal candidate will have the ability to exercise sound judgement in a variety of situations, with excellent written and verbal communication, administrative, organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Associate must be able to work under pressure to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with professionalism and discretion.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Executive Administrative Support
Manage and monitor a variety of administrative duties for the CEO including:
- Managing the CEO’s calendars, including scheduling, coordinating meetings with internal and external partners to ensure effective use of the CEO’s time
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively and follows through on projects to successful completion within specified deadlines
- Arranging detailed travel plans including developing itineraries, including registrations for attendance at events
- Compose and prepare correspondence in various formats (virtual, hard copy, branded, etc.)
- Compile documents and reports for meetings and presentations as needed
- Responsible for completing the CEO’s monthly expense reports
- Flexibility to be available for urgent/unexpected Executive Office needs as they arrive during and outside of the normal workday
- Provides administrative and logistical support for key internal and external meetings such as Board Meetings, Senior Management Meetings and Staff Retreats
Support for CEO’s Management of Direct Reports
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the CEO, senior management staff and internal departments, including scheduling regular meetings
- Coordinates scheduling year-end and mid-year performance review meetings with the CEO’s direct reports
Provide Support to CEO in communications and relationships within and external to EL Education
- Manage and/or support various aspects of special projects for the CEO as needed
- Support communications between the CEO’s office and internal programs and staff throughout the organization
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on issues and concerns addressed to the CEO including those of a sensitive and/or confidential nature; determines appropriate course of action, referral, response or monitoring and advises CEO accordingly
Strategic Initiatives Support
- Support and assist the CEO’s engagement and implementation of the organization's Strategic Plan including communications, coordination of information and meetings
- Support CEO’s interface with EL organization-wide annual goals process
- Support CEO’s activities related to the Board of Directors and the Development Team
- Responds to Board requests and needs as directed by the CEO and Development Director(s).
- As approved by the CEO, set annual schedule of individual meetings for the CEO & Board Chair
- As approved by the CEO, support Development Team activities (Annual Gala, correspondence, contracts, meetings with stakeholders, funders, etc.)
- Attend BOD (full) meetings & annual reception
- Help manage Development Team contact list using the Raiser’s Edge database
- As approved by the CEO, follow up on contacts made by the CEO to support ongoing and prospective donor relationships
- As approved by the CEO, help donors with matters or other inquiries
Other duties and responsibilities assigned as needed
- Travel up to ~30% to attend board meetings, organizational meetings and retreats and events for external partners, etc.
A successful candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor's Degree (required)
- A minimum of five (5) years previous experience supporting a C-level Executive in a non-profit organization required
- A proven track record of navigating complex protocols and managing high-level relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Meticulous organizational skills, ability to prioritize projects, follow through on detail with high-level accuracy
- Superior time and budget management skills in an environment where timelines and requirements can quickly change
- Proven experience in calendar management. Experience with coordinating extensive travel and meetings with staff, external partners/stakeholders
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision making capability
- Proven ability to act with discretion and guard confidential information
- Exceptional interpersonal skills - tact, patience, diplomacy, appropriate assertiveness - and ability to build relationships with staff, stakeholders, board members, external partners and donors
- Self-starter with the ability to act independently and as part of a team
- A high level of proficiency in various data and system platforms including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Adobe, Docusign and Google Platforms (email, documents, spreadsheets)
- Experienced in compiling data and preparing presentations for meetings
- Previous experience working within the Education profession (K-12) desirable.
- Previous experience working with board members, donors, foundations, etc.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues
- A passion for EL's mission.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, cell phone/Internet stipend, complimentary meditation app, and Employee Assistance Program (wellness, legal, etc.) benefit.
HOW TO APPLY
The anticipated start date for this position is July 2019. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team and environment. The organization is committed to equity across the organization: in its services to clients, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. While still seeking to improve our demonstration of this commitment, candidates should know that equity is a cornerstone of our commitment to all communities that we serve. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor