- Date Posted
- EL Education
- New England
- Administrative Assistant
- Amherst, MA
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c (3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit ELeducation.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the President/CEO and partnering closely with the Manager, Office of the President, the Executive Associate will be a critical team member of the organization and will provide high quality administrative support in service of cross-functional and organizational alignment and cohesion. Ideal candidates possess a deep commitment to ensuring equitable outcomes for all students, and core competencies in the areas of communication, relationship building, problem solving, collaboration, and project coordination.
Estimated travel: 10% on average (examples of travel may include: internal team meetings, annual staff gathering and our annual customer conference)
Executive Administrative Support
- Manage and complete a broad variety of administrative duties for the CEO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments and travel arrangements
- submitting expense reports
- composing and preparing correspondence (including those that are confidential),
- arranging travel plans
- developing, compiling and archiving documents
- answering overflow calls from the President/CEO’s phone as needed
- processing and distributing daily mail, as needed
- respond to Board and external stakeholder (e.g. funders) requests and needs as defined by the CEO and Development team
- Research, prioritize, and follow up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CEO including those of a sensitive and/or confidential nature; determines appropriate course of action, referral, response or monitoring.
- Prepare documents and communication materials (e.g. presentations) for various organizational and department needs
- Serve as a bridge for smooth communication between the CEO and staff, demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust, and support with the Senior Leadership Team.
- Work with the Development team and Senior Leadership Team to coordinate the CEO’s outreach activities. Follow up on contacts made by the President/CEO to cultivate ongoing relationships.
- Work with the Development Team to distribute materials to Board Members, as needed.
- Support the planning for leadership meetings and offsites in partnership with Manager, Office of the President and Chief Operating Officer; coordinating pre-meeting logistics, onsite support and follow up details
- Provide hospitality to all guests and help to create a welcoming environment (for events or at Amherst, MA office as needed)
- Support the annual operational calendar planning activities (scheduling and coordination of group meetings, Board meetings, etc.) in partnership with operations team and Manager, Office of the President
- Partner with the Manager, Office of the President to track action items and follow-up needs for the President/CEO.
- Lead the day to day office management of the Amherst, MA office
- Replenish office materials such as snacks, printer supplies, paper, office supplies, etc.
- Manage petty cash reimbursements and reconciliation, as needed
- Assist in the selection of vendors and purchase equipment, services, and supplies necessary for operation of organization.
- Evaluate and assist in developing office policies and procedures for improved work flow and anticipate future needs as organization grows.
- Manage new and on-going tenancy issues and relationships with vendors (i.e. landlord, office cleaning vendor, basic maintenance vendors)
- Partner with Chief Operating Officer and Chief Finance Officer to support lease renewals or signings (new space), as needed
Support for President/CEO’s Management of Direct Reports
- Partner with President/CEO in coordinating interface with Direct Reports by scheduling
- On-boarding meetings
- Regular communication structures (1:1 meetings, check-in’s, ad hoc, etc.)
- Employee evaluation processes (coordinate schedules and timelines)
- Arrange new staff interviews or skip levels for President/CEO
- Support President/CEO with coordination of recruitment/hiring processes, as needed
- Provide training and/or on-boarding support to new staff as needed
Other projects/duties as assigned for the overall benefit of the organization.
Relevant experience and skills
- 7+ years of executive support experience, including supporting C-level executives;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong experience with Google Suite (Gmail, Docs, Slides, and Drive) and Video Conference software such as Zoom and Google Meet;
- Familiarity with project management software such as Asana, Trello, or Monday.com preferred;
- Strong project coordination skills, including attention to detail and planning skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills;
- An ability to prioritize and execute strategies/tasks under pressure when needed;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Ability to act as gatekeeper and escalate relevant information as needed;
- Ability to practice sound judgment and work independently with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrated ability to develop presentations in Powerpoint, strongly preferred.
- A deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racist practices, and EL Education’s commitment to excellent and equitable student outcomes.
- High degree of professionalism in dealing with diverse groups of people, including Board members, senior executives, staff, community leaders, donors, and funded partners.
- Able to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to complete a high volume of tasks and projects with little or no guidance.
- Ability to react with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require quick response or turnaround.
- Excellent judgment is essential
- A talent for working with interdependent and matrixed teams;
- A good listener and synthesizer who is receptive to contrasting opinions and points of view,
- Flexible and adaptable
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online at www.ELeducation.org in the Careers section. No phone calls please. Thank you.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor