EMSA Dean of Culture
- Date Posted
- Partner Schools
- School Leadership
The Dean of Culture will report to and work closely with the Principal, along with the instructionalcoach and teachers, to develop and promote a culture of high expectations with high levels of support to ensure success for all students. The Dean of Culture will serve as a support toteachers in developing an EL Education culture around EMSA’s Habits of Scholarship (HOS) to create a positive and supportive environment in their classrooms and in achieving high levels of engagement and learning from all students. The Dean will serve as the coordinator for the EMSA Crew Program (small group advisories), developing the Crew Curriculum Map and
supporting teachers and staff in the planning and delivery of Crew advisory lessons and
experiences. The Dean of Culture will also oversee school-wide assessments and coordinate
data and processes related to the Multi-Tiered System of Support to ensure effective datadriven
instruction and appropriate supports for all students.
EMSA Dean of Culture Responsibilities:
● Responsible for the implementation of school and classroom practices that promote and
uphold a positive school culture based on the EL Education Core Practices of culture
● Promote and communicate clear school-wide expectations for character development
and positive behavior.
● Proactively create and develop positive relationships with all members of the school
community (students, teachers, families).
● Oversee and support implementation of Crew by providing guidance and professional
development, resources and coaching to teachers and other staff.
● Partner with the Principal and Instructional Coach to support teachers in developing
classroom structures to ensure all students are well known and establishing and
maintaining consistent classroom routines in a student-centered classroom.
● Organize and coordinates weekly school-wide community gatherings to build
community, celebrate, recognize and showcase student endeavors.
● Supervise the consistent and fair administration and tracking of student conduct and the
tracking of student character and behavioral data.
● Oversee school assessment schedules and procedures, and ensure timely and
transparent dissemination and analysis of testing data.
● In collaboration with Principal, manage Multi-Tiered System of Support.
● Contribute toward a safe environment for learning, including ensuring that student
conduct is maintained and discipline is enforced fairly and consistently.
● Serve as liaison to parents and facilitate parent education and involvement, including
reinforcing the need for parents to support the school’s policies and practices for student
discipline, dress code, homework, and events.
● Provide behavior counseling and support for high-needs students such as observations,
parent conferences, home visits, and intervention groups.
● Serve as a member of school leadership team.
● Demonstrate awareness of school/community needs and initiates activities to meet
those identified needs.
● May perform other projects and duties as directed by the Principal.
EMSA Dean of Culture Qualifications:
● Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in applicable field of study/education from an accredited
college or university.
● At least 3 years classroom teaching experience; experience in a school-based
leadership role preferred
● Demonstrated experience with experiential or project-based learning.
● Excellent knowledge and understanding of the teaching and learning process.
● Experience and training in conflict resolution strategies and/or restorative practices.
● Demonstrated experience working with challenged groups in a standards-based
● Demonstrated knowledge of multiple forms of assessment, including Assessments for
Learning, Portfolios, Student-Led Conferences, etc.
● Demonstrated knowledge of how to use data to drive instruction.
● Demonstrated understanding of effective practices to coach and develop teachers.
● Demonstrated success in effectively solving challenging problems through a positive,
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Ability to work with diverse populations.