- Date Posted
- EL Education
- National HQ
- New York, NY / Amherst, MA / Remote locations considered
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is a leading K-12 nonprofit helping to build great schools in diverse communities across America. For over 25 years, EL Education has been bringing to life a three-dimensional vision of student achievement that includes mastery of knowledge and skills, character, and high-quality student work. EL Education promotes active classrooms that are alive with discovery, problem-solving, challenge, and collaboration. EL Education drives results: teachers fulfill their highest aspirations and students achieve more than they think possible. EL Education students have both the capacity and the passion to build to a better, more just world. EL Education’s expert educators work with public schools—both district and charter—across 35 states, serving over 200,000 students and 16,000 teachers in our school network and literacy partnerships. Rigorous impact studies by Mathematica Policy Research demonstrate that EL Education’s approach works: teachers significantly improve their craft and students achieve more, regardless of background. Grounded in decades of in-depth work with educators,
EL Education creates highly respected, widely distributed open educational resources, including the following:
- An acclaimed literacy curriculum that has been downloaded more than 9 million times and received the highest possible ratings from EdReports
- The world’s largest collection of exemplary student projects
- Inspiring instructional videos with millions of views
- Hundreds of free online resources
- Best-selling education books
EL Education was founded in 1992 by the Harvard Graduate School of Education in collaboration with Outward Bound USA based on the belief that learning and achievement flourish when teachers and students are engaged in work that is challenging, adventurous, and meaningful.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director, Office of the President & CEO is a newly created position reporting directly to the President & CEO. As our organization embarks on a new four-year strategic plan, Advancing Equity in K-12 Education, this leader will play a critical role as a trusted partner of the President & CEO and the Senior Leadership Team. The role was developed to add strategic leadership capacity at an exciting time for EL Education. This is an opportunity for an organizational enthusiast, creative strategist and people connector to join the Leadership Team and be part of a movement focused on ensuring equitable and excellent outcomes for all students.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Hiring
At EL Education, we welcome and value the inclusion of diverse perspectives of our staff in support of our work with students and partners. We are deeply committed to providing equitable access and lifting up different voices inside and outside of the organization. We enthusiastically invite individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
REPORTS TO: President & CEO, EL Education
TRAVEL: Approximately 20-25%, depending on location
Strategic Leadership & Support
- Contribute to the implementation of EL Education’s long-term strategic plan activities (Advancing Equity in K-12 Education)
- Build, maintain and leverage relationships with Senior Leadership Team, paying close attention to their concerns and challenges
- Support all workflows of the President’s office with a focus on the curriculum team, development team, and senior leadership team which are directly led by the President.
- Lead key strategic projects that span across multiple departments within the organization as needed
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer to coordinate robust senior leadership team meetings (agendas, goals, etc.)
- Serve as a key organizational problem solver and innovator, collaborating on creative and effective solutions;
- Work closely with the President & CEO and Senior Leadership Team to integrate tools and timelines into priority setting and decision-making processes
- Monitor key organizational performance indicators for the President & CEO use in service of decision-making
- Ensure that the President & CEO's time is leveraged effectively, including engaging the right participants in and out of meetings and problem solving with stakeholders in advance to maximize their time with the President & CEO
- Own the behind the scenes preparations for high stakes President/CEO presentations, including developing high quality and impactful internal and external facing materials
- Help prepare President & CEO for internal and external meetings and help to manage action items and follow-up communications
- Partner with President & CEO, Chief Operating Officer and communications teams to support the development and effective implementation of annual communication plans.
- Coordinate and streamline communication structures and routines and consistently monitor for efficacy
Philanthropic Strategy Support
- Support the Development Team in achieving the organization’s four-year $50,000,000 campaign goal with a hands-on willingness to take on research, donor communications, and other important tasks
- Working closely with the MD, Development, support the President & CEO in building sustainable, long-term relationships with funders and donors
- Help prepare President & CEO for meetings with funders and donors and craft communications with board members and donors
- Working closely with the MD, Development, support, manage calendar setting and logistics for meetings of the Board of Directors
- Partner closely with the President & CEO and Development team to understand the mission and goals of the organization’s philanthropic strategies and programs
- Support cross-departmental efforts around the achievement of philanthropic goals - specifically tied to long-term strategic plan, Advancing Equity in K-12 Education
- Communicate with Board of Directors, Funders, and Donors
- Run President & CEO office operations to guarantee efficiency
- Organize and prioritize key information, issues, deadlines, and decisions
- Partner closely with administrative staff to optimize the President & CEO’s schedule, using knowledge of current priorities internally and externally
- Mentor and manage administrative and special project team(s) as needed; lead the cross-functional administrative team best practice sharing community of practice
- Develop internal processes and systems to maximize efficiencies across teams
- Monitor budget of the President & CEO office; liaise with the Finance team to ensure that deadlines for deliverables are met
- Serve as central point of contact for high priority initiatives and information requests
- Perform any other duties as needed such as oversight and triage of all President & CEO’s activities
Relevant experience and skills
- 5+ years of strategic leadership experience
- 10+ years of project management skills with proven track record of leading multiple cross-functional projects consecutively and prioritize competing priorities;
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills;
- Strong written communication skills (including use of PowerPoint, Canva, Adobe and/or InDesign)
- An ability to effectively work both independently and collaboratively;
- An ability to influence without direct authority;
- An ability to prioritize and execute strategies/tasks under pressure when needed.
- Previous experience in and/or working understanding of K-12 schools and districts, a plus;
- Experience in philanthropy, grantmaking or fundraising, a plus;
- Knowledge of EL Education’s K-8 Curriculum, a plus
- A deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racist practices, and EL Education’s commitment to excellent and equitable student outcomes;
- A talent for working with interdependent and matrixed teams;
- A good listener and synthesizer who is receptive to contrasting opinions and points of view;
- Flexible, creative, accessible, and open;
- Comfortable engaging both small and large groups of people in conversation, presentation, and/or to galvanize them toward a common goal;
- Ability to display a sense of urgency;
- Strong sense of judgment and discretion. Able to maintain tact and confidentiality at all times.
A competitive compensation package will be designed to attract an outstanding candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter online (link to EL’s Career Page) in MS Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, Veteran status, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor