- EL Education
- New England
- New York
- National HQ
- National Office (NYC or Amherst, MA)
LOCATION: Amherst, MA or New York City, NY
ABOUT EL EDUCATION
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Created over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education’s research-based approach challenges and empowers teachers and students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Students’ impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness, pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and a passion for contributing to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district and charter from pre-K through 12th grade, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including a literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed materials and masterful coaching with our 150+ school partners serving over 50,000 students in 30 states. For more information, visit www.ELeducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Marketing will have primary responsibility for creating, implementing, and measuring the success of our marketing strategy, including digital communications. The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong background in brand and product marketing, a passion for the educational mission of the organization, and be a team player with extraordinary leadership capabilities. You must be a creative storyteller as well as an innovative, well-organized strategic thinker with powerful writing chops and strong quantitative skills. This position reports to the Managing Director of Research and Communications and requires regular travel.
Primary responsibilities of the Director of Marketing:
In your role, you will be responsible for growing the “marketing muscle” of EL Education, a 25-year-old, well-established and highly respected organization with a national footprint. Major responsibilities include:
- Initiate, create, and measure EL Education’s marketing strategy in multiple arenas.
- Increase the organization’s marketing activity and capacity, working across departments to meet diverse needs (e.g., digital advertising, content marketing, trade shows, print media, email marketing).
- Craft strategy to meet the marketing and brand strength goals of the EL Education’s 5-year strategic plan.
- Lead marketing strategy and activities for EL Education-authored books.
- Develop content and collateral for recruitment of school and district EL Education partners, including print, digital, and customizable presentations.
- Support marketing of EL Education’s ELA curriculum in collaboration with appropriate departments and partners.
- Edit and author content for digital properties, social media, advertising, print, and presentations.
- Develop a set of key metrics for social media, communications, and website: track and analyze, prepare quarterly reports for internal audiences and Board of Directors.
- Represent the organization in external settings and public events.
- Supervise the Website Manager and provide leadership for management of all website properties.
- Manage all outside vendors related to marketing activities.
Leadership, Supervision and Management
- Serve as a recognized and trusted resource on EL Education marketing strategy and tools.
- Collaborate with EL Education leadership in developing strategic endeavors that expand the impact and reach of our work.
- Field requests for data and information from policymakers, media, and partner organizations.
- Collaborate with new and existing consultants and contractors for digital platforms, software, database design, or other marketing-related services.
- Participate in professional development for our staff and partners as needed at meetings and conferences throughout the year.
- Assess, recommend, and implement any needed changes in current marketing-related systems or procedures.
- Support EL Education staff capacity-building in analyzing and using marketing-related data.
The successful candidate for this position is an energetic and data-driven marketing strategist with exceptional leadership and communication skills. The position requires an accomplished marketer with a creative mindset, strong writing skills, and management experience. Must have a proven track record of innovative content creation across marketing platforms including print, web, email and social media, content and channel optimization, brand consistency, analytics and meaningful measurement. The position requires a leader who is committed to creating equitable, excellent educational opportunities for all students and who possesses a balance of technical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education's mission and vision: improving K-12 education for all students and closing opportunity gaps.
- A four-year college degree in Marketing, Communications, Business, or another related field; MBA preferred.
- Exceedingly strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to create compelling stories from the powerful work underway at EL Education schools.
- Ability to work effectively on diverse teams in an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as a commitment to participate in opportunities to enhance and deepen this work.
- 5+ years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel content creation and marketing, preferably in education or a related field.
- Experience with creating, testing, and distributing compelling messages for different target demographics.
- Expertise with a suite of key tools and technologies, including:
- social media platforms (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Hootsuite),
- website and SEO performance measurement tools (e.g., Google Analytics, KISSmetrics),
- usability testing strategies and software (e.g., Loop11, Usability Hub, Survey Monkey)
- email marketing tools (e.g., MailChimp)
- website CMS (Craft and/or Drupal experience preferred)
- online media/advertising management tools (e.g., Facebook advertising tools, Marketo, SailThru, OutBrain, Percolate).
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and consistent focus on quality.
- Strong project management and supervision skills; ability to balance multiple projects and tasks.
- A collaborative, entrepreneurial, and flexible professional approach.
- Previous experience working in the K-12 public education system.
- Experience in data visualization approaches and tools designed to make findings clear and accessible to a wide variety of audiences.
- Crisis communications experience a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online. No phone calls or emails please. Thank you.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter (in MS Word or PDF format) and identify the position for which you are applying.
EL will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor