- EL Education
- New York
- National HQ
- Tri-state New York (NY, NJ, CT), preferred; Remote, considered
ABOUT EL Education
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
EL students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL Education is looking for an innovative, creative, results-oriented, people-influencer to join our team as we continue our journey of building a deep and rich culture of diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI). This is a newly created position reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer with a multitude of cross-organization collaboration opportunities and an opportunity to play a lead role as a positive change agent. If you have a passion for being part of a team dedicated to transforming teaching and learning in schools and districts across the nation and achieving multi-dimensional student outcomes regardless of student background, this may be the role for you.
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team and environment. The organization is committed to equity across the organization: in its services to clients, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. While still seeking to improve our demonstration of this commitment, candidates should know that equity is a cornerstone of our commitment to all communities that we serve.
Strategy Development & Project Management
- Lead the development of a proactive diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) strategic plan in partnership with key stakeholders (DEI Advisory Crew, staff, senior leaders, Board of Directors).
- Plan will focus on internal capacity building and external partner-facing strategies; implementation responsibilities and accountability will be held with multiple internal team members
- Serve as positive change agent and disruptor of processes, practices and policies that no longer serve the mission and intentions of a growing organization committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Successfully project manage the implementation of multi-year plan; adjust plan based on quantitative and qualitative learnings as needed.
- Recommend policies, procedures and/or actions for the purpose of meeting the goals and objectives of the strategic plan.
- Stay abreast of advances in the area of diversity through networking, research and benchmarking.
Internal capacity building
- Build internal structures to foster DEI through development of new and maintenance of existing employee-led internal structures
- Oversee the support and growth of employee affinity groups (for example: Crew of Color, Asian Pan American, LGBTQ+ groups)
- Provide leadership direction and sponsorship of the internal employee-led groups:
- Employee Engagement Team (EET) in partnership with EET co-leads
- THRIVE cohort team of internal DEI trainers in partnership with co-leads
- Ensure that structures have methods of strong cross-communication and collaboration as needed to maximize coherence and impact
- Design internal training initiatives/curriculum (in partnership with THRIVE team) on DEI to increase awareness and support of equity and inclusion values. In addition, identify external partners to supplement internal training areas of focus.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate internal training to small and large groups of staff.
- Apply learning from internal-facing work to consider implications for EL Education’s programmatic resources and offerings.
Talent & Staff development
- Develop strategies for attracting and developing diverse groups talent (especially in under-represented identity groups) in partnership with Human Resources and leadership team
- Partner with Human Resources to develop and implement strategies for recruiting and hiring diverse candidates (race, gender, religion, geography, work experience, ability, etc.)
- Establish external partnerships with organizations to build robust talent pipeline
- Identify unique opportunities to promote EL Education careers within differentiated channels that appeal to diverse candidates
- Partner with Hiring Managers to source candidates; provide one on one support to Hiring Managers through recruiting and interview process
- Identify and break down barriers that prevent diverse groups of candidates from well-matched career opportunities at EL Education; provide recommendations to senior leadership for implementation
- Co-lead internal talent planning and internal leadership development strategy with Chief Operating Officer
- Execute on strategy in partnership with leadership team; measure results
Organizational alignment and integration
- Partner with internal teams (e.g. partner-facing, Program, Curriculum, Publications/video, Marketing, Research teams) to identify opportunities to integrate diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives into their practices and “DNA”.
- Identify opportunities to enhance EL Education’s programs, products and services using a diversity, equity and inclusion lens.
- Provide guidance to leadership with respect to EEO laws and regulations regarding recruiting
Data management/reporting & budget
- Gather, research and analyze data for use in reporting (internal and external) in the area of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Responsible for the administration and annual compliance reporting for the organization’s EEO and AAP Plans.
- Assist with compliance and development of policies and procedures related to equity, diversity and inclusion (for example: EEO report for government contracts)
- Manage budget as needed, including developing grant and budget proposals, justifying expenses and monitoring accounts.
- Serve as thought leader and champion of the importance and value of a diverse and inclusive environment at EL Education.
- Convene and influence internal teams and leaders to focus on a dedicated external facing DEI strategy (as part of the long-term DEI plan)
- Mentor peers across the organization on DEI issues, as needed
- Please note: This role does not have any direct reports at this time, but is expected to indirectly supervise staff who are project managing aspects of the DEI strategic plan efforts.
Other duties and responsibilities assigned as needed
Travel up to ~30% of the time; mostly targeted toward internal-facing collaboration opportunities, annual staff meeting, annual National Conference event for partners, etc.
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education's mission and vision
- A four-year college degree in sociology, education, ethnic studies or related field; masters degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience in a multicultural, multi-ethnic school/community/organizational environment; knowledge and understanding of racial and cultural differences; sensitivity to issues and concerns of communities of color and other diverse groups.
- 4+ years demonstrated experience in developing and executing complex project plans (preferably diversity plans) through deep consultation with key stakeholders (internal and external)
- 3+ years experience with facilitating small and large group presentations or trainings
- 3+ years of coaching and developing staff (directly or indirectly)
- Unparalleled interpersonal and collaboration skills; ability to build rapport and trust quickly
- Ability to interact effectively and discretely/confidentially with and provide guidance to internal staff
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lean into uncomfortable topics and crucial conversations with others; ability to play the role of “disruptor” and positive change agent
- Skill at influencing, negotiating and consensus building to support decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (phone, email, video conference, etc.)
- Experience with working in a geographically dispersed organization
- A collaborative, entrepreneurial, and flexible professional approach
- Ability to interacting with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills, especially in high stakes and sometimes ambiguous situations
- PK-12 public education experience, preferred
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, cell phone/Internet stipend, complimentary meditation app, and Employee Assistance Program (wellness, legal, etc.) benefit.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor