- Date Posted
- EL Education
Director, Business Development
Travel: up to 40%
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is a national nonprofit partnering with K-12 educators to transform public schools and districts into hubs of opportunity for all students to achieve excellent equitable outcomes. EL Education is guided by a vision of education equity and student potential, by a reimagined definition of student achievement, and offers research-proven resources and practices, including the acclaimed EL Education K-8 Language Arts curriculum, Core Practices, and aligned professional learning. EL Education was founded in 1991 and currently serves 440,000 students in diverse communities across the country. Learn more at ELEducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL Education is seeking a strategic partnerships lead to join our Growth & Engagement Team. The Director, Business Development is responsible for recruiting, nurturing, and managing relationships with business partners across the high-quality instructional materials (HQIM) and aligned professional learning ecosystem. Reporting to the Senior Director, Product Marketing & Business Development, this role will work in close collaboration with our Sales and Product leadership to deliver on 3rd party partnerships and position EL as a leading provider of HQIM, aligned professional learning services, and business innovation. This will include conceptualizing and formalizing new ways for organizations to collaborate in service of increased access to the highest-quality resources and improved outcomes for students nationwide.
- Specific responsibilities include the following as well as other duties as assigned:
- Business Development
- Address challenging educational issues through innovative and strategic business solutions.
- Assess EL professional learning sales pipeline and product roadmap, among other sources, to determine business development needs.
- Create a rubric that evaluates “best fit” attributes for EL business partners.
- Develop and deliver pitch decks to potential partners
- Understand business partners’ business models, key priorities, and challenges; regularly communicate insights and recommendations to Growth & Engagement and the larger Finance Team.
- Develop strategic perspectives based on market insights across the K-12 education ecosystem, actively contributing a POV to our growth strategy.
- Manage the integration of EL and partner sales, product, and marketing strategies.
- Serve as relationship lead for select key business partnership(s).
- Monitor all aspects of a multi-million dollar portfolio including:
- Budget development and management.
- Analysis of revenue and pipeline reports from partners against budget.
- Oversight of grant funded projects related to key partnerships.
- Structure agreements and contribute to negotiation of terms with partners.
- Collect data around the efficacy of each partnership to drive innovation in strategy, improve partner satisfaction, and ensure fiscal sustainability of the portfolio.
- Work cross-functionally and leverage resources from teams across the organization to manage individual partnerships and execute a coherent approach to business development.
- Represent EL at conferences and events to network with potential partners in the industry.
- Communicate partner needs and viewpoints within EL to proactively evolve our business model.
- Talent Acquisition and Management
- Support recruitment and hiring for additional team positions.
- Propose and develop job descriptions for additional FTE as needed.
- Supervise and retain high-performing staff.
- Lead annual performance management cycle including goal setting, end of year reviews, and ongoing feedback.
- An ideal candidate will have the following experience, skills, and competencies:
- Bachelor's degree; MBA a plus
- 3+ years of demonstrated success in developing and managing business relationships at different levels of management
- 3+ years experience in K-12 education, system-level experience in curriculum implementation and/or design/delivery of professional learning preferred
- 3+ years experience leading high-performing teams
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist practices
- Drive to realize EL Education's mission and vision of student achievement
- Knowledge of sales process; sales experience preferred
- Experience managing budgets
- Proactive, innovative, and adaptive approach to problem solving
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to successful execution of work
- Experience negotiating and getting to win-win agreements
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Exceptional ability to build trust and maintain relationships inside and outside the organization
- Willingness to accept and learn from feedback
- Comfort using various technology / platforms (e.g., Google Suite, Excel, Salesforce, Asana)
- Understanding of intellectual property matters including Creative Commons licensing preferred
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment, absent an approved medical or religious accommodation
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience. The compensation for this position is $120K - $135K and offers a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, and more.
HOW TO APPLY
The anticipated start date for this position is April 3, 2023 . Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter online (link to EL’s Career Page) in MS Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all diverse backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor