- Date Posted
- EL Education
- New York
- National HQ
- New York City, NY
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
In addition to success on standardized tests, EL students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://ELeducation.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Controller is responsible for the oversight of all accounting and reporting activities. S/he leads all day-to-day accounting operations, including internal controls, cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, financial systems and processes, and reporting. This full-time position reports directly to the Managing Director, Accounting & Finance. The Controller collaborates with functions throughout the organization, including operations and human resources.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Accounting Operations and Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems insuring accuracy, efficiency, and compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for monthly financial statements preparation and analysis (Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Activities, and Statement of Cash Flows) and additional ad hoc reports as directed
- Direct Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll functions
- Manage the monthly close process and related activities
- Manage organizational cash flow tracking and forecasting
- In partnership with Managing Director, manage banking relationships as needed
- Maintain relationship and processes around insurance for organization (i.e. brokers)
- Lead the audit process which includes primary communication to the external audit team, managing the delivery of required audit schedules, reviewing and preparing (when necessary) all audit schedules, preparing all financial statements and footnotes in order to facilitate the issuance of the Annual Audit and related tax returns (990) reports in a timely manner
- Additional projects as assigned
Accounting Policies, Procedures, and Systems
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets with actual expenditures
- Develop and implement accounting policies, procedures, and systems to ensure timely month-end close and appropriate financial reporting
- Conduct on-going financial system innovations to drive efficiencies and improved internal customer experience
- Manage, coach, and develop finance team members
A successful Controller will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and vision
- A four-year college degree (graduate degree and/or certification in finance, accounting, or related fields, preferred)
- CPA preferred, and MBA a plus
- 10 years of more relevant work experience (senior finance or accounting position, preferred)
- Experience in non-profit accounting practices, preferred
- Expertise in General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Robust quantitative analytic skills, especially in accounting and finance
- Strong computer skills including Financial Edge, Salesforce, Expensify, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), presentation formats, data entry
- Strong written and verbal communications skills (phone, email, in-person, videoconference, etc.)
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work throughout all levels and locations of the organization
- The ability to translate complex and technical financial issues into actionable recommendations
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong self-motivation and self-management skills, effective independent worker
- Strong collaborative, team-oriented and flexible approach to partnered work
- A commitment to confidentiality
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter online (link to EL’s Career Page) in MS Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor