- Date Posted
- EL Education
- Instructional Support
- Remote location; travel required (~10%)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Originating over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education's research-based approach inspires teachers and challenges students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Our impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness as well as pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and the passion and capacity to contribute to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district, charter, elementary and secondary, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including an open source literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed professional development and instructional resources with our 150+ school partners in 39 states, serving over 50,000 students. For more information, visithttp://eleducation.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Content Designer—in ongoing and deep collaboration with partner-facing teams—will lead high-leverage learning content design, development, and delivery for teachers and school leaders. The Content Designer is innovative—creating fresh, equitable, and student-centered approaches and solutions that support educators using EL Education’s curriculum. This process includes conducting needs analysis; designing progressive and equitable learning solutions, and uses the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles; upskilling facilitators for high-quality delivery; evaluating effectiveness; and incorporating feedback from multiple stakeholders. Here are Content Designer insights.
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. As an equal opportunity employer committed to racial equity and social justice, we make a particular effort to recruit people who identify as Black, Indigenous, and people of color, and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Relationship + Portfolio Management
- Intentionally cultivate relational trust through proactive communication and collaboration across all stakeholders to ensure goal alignment; strategic and responsive solutions; and joy in designing high-impact content and learning experiences
- Work closely with Senior Coaches to deliver innovative, evidence-based, and scaleable content solutions that meet diverse customer needs (partnership team, 3rd party distribution partners, and new business)
- Develop, curate, and manage content to ensure knowledge is organized, updated, and accessible
- Design and implement innovative professional learning solutions using a variety of methods and tools
- Participate in needs assessment to ensure course design and materials address adult learner needs
- Collaborate with Content Team colleagues (Product, CDT, and Curriculum Ecosystem) to determine product life cycle framework and maintenance schedule, from idea generation to market entry/commercialization
- Organize and disseminate program resources strategically in public, premium, and staff libraries and other channels of dissemination as needed.
- Closely collaborate with Director, Program Development; co-lead creating equitable quality assurance system with an embedded design thinking framework to ensure content reflects EL’s most updated pedagogy and culturally responsive practices
- Manage intellectual property including: copyediting using brand guidelines, copyrighting EL’s program resources, and tracking permissions and rights.
- Provide continuous improvement input to drive simplicity and accelerate innovation
- Attend to DEIA, ADA, Learning Forward Standards and Universal Design for Learning principles in design cycles
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to assess EL content efficacy/effectiveness, programmatic resources, and learning experiences to inform goals, priorities, pivots, and actionable next steps
- Interpret and apply data to create user characteristics and learning pathways for all customer types
- Input, manage, and maintain accurate records in Canvas, Expensify, and internal trackers
- Motivate and influence effectively in a matrix environment
- Express effectively through presence, facilitation, and written communications digitally and on-site
- Implement and facilitate creative, interactive onsite and virtual experiences for internal and external meetings that model engagement and practices
- Ensure continuous improvement by sharing successes and challenges with candor; collaborating; being open to receiving and sharing actionable feedback; and transforming professional practice by applying new learning
Global and Cultural Effectiveness
- Value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all stakeholders
- Prioritize and delegate effectively with minimal supervision
- Collaborate across lines of difference with a wide range of social identities and educational contexts
- Practice equity pauses, seek disaggregated data, and activate curiosity when making decisions and recommendations
A successful candidate brings:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive practices
- At least 3-5 years of lead designing experience (content, instructional, product, UX, LXD)
- Remarkable leadership qualities, national caliber presentation, facilitation, and organizational skills, and personal characteristics to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds
- Proven experience and deep expertise in content creation and professional learning design in a/synchronous learning environments across multiple modalities
- Proven experience in delivering professional development, backwards planning, and the CCSS instructional shifts
- Knowledge of adult learning theory and instructional design with PD materials for K-12 educators and leaders; strong drive to stay current on PD trends to inform PD materials
- Proven ability to prioritize and execute strategies/tasks under pressure when needed; demonstrated experience managing complex deadline-intensive projects
- A high degree of integrity, flexibility, curiosity, and growth mindset—managing complex tasks and timelines independently and proactively, working remotely/away from direct supervision, working with virtual teams across different geographical sites
- Experience, capacity, and willingness to learn and apply quickly
- Exceptional organization, verbal, and written communication and interpersonal skills with willingness to ask for, receive, and implement feedback
- Proficiency with multiple online learning platforms
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and Google Applications
- Willingness to travel ~20% for organizational events (i.e. National Conference, staff retreat, meetings)
Preferred experience and qualifications
- Master’s Degree in instructional design and minimum of three years experience in K-12 Educational Technology
- Knowledge of EL Education’s Design Principles and Instructional Core
- Experience designing for a school or district leadership audience
- Canvas and Adobe proficiencies
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter online (link to EL’s Career Page) in MS Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all diverse backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor