- EL Education
- New York
- National HQ
- New York City
ABOUT EL Education
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Originating over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education's research-based approach inspires teachers and challenges students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Our impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness as well as pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and the passion and capacity to contribute to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district, charter, elementary and secondary, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including an open source literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed professional development and instructional resources with our 150+ school partners in 39 states, serving over 50,000 students. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Communications Specialist (CS) role is the cornerstone of efficient and effective marketing and communications for EL Education. The CS has a talent for leveraging systems and technologies in innovative ways to reach our communications goals. The CS is also an experienced project manager, ensuring accurate and timely communications on a large scale across many channels. They report to the Associate Director of Communications and are a member of the Communications and Marketing Team.
If our communications channels are a well-oiled machine, the CS is the engineer, making sure systems are in place to deploy a large volume of communications across email, social media, and the web content management systems. The CS will also write and curate content for our newsletters and some social media and web pages.
The CS manages budgets, agendas, timelines, and progress tracking for our website and campaigns, including managing some billing with vendors.
The CS has their ear to the ground, monitoring media mentions and audience feedback from our website, emails, and social media. They’re our lead messenger, responding to inquiries and escalating high priority messages to the right departments.
The CS is the architect of our email database and software. They make sure that email lists are accurate and segmented so that the team is empowered to reach the right audiences with relevant information. They also help make sure that contact information flows automatically from the web and other sources into the database.
Analytics and Tracking
The CS will track the success of campaigns through web, social, and email analytics. They’ll empower teams across the organization to make strategic, data-driven decisions by presenting our results in compelling, accessible formats. They’re also the master of any A/B tests we run on email to see what resonates with our audiences. Finally, the Communications Specialist will track the reach of EL Education products and services, such as curriculum downloads and schools served.
- The successful candidate combines expertise in marketing communications with passion for our mission.
- A minimum of two years working in marketing or digital communications
- Ability to travel for occasional meetings across the US (up to 4 weeks per year)
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Demonstrated commitment to equity in education
- Experience sourcing, developing, organizing, and publishing high volumes of content
- Experience with digital publishing and content management systems for web and email
- Experience with CRM database management and marketing automation software
- Comfort learning how to use new platforms and web-based applications
- Experience with social media strategies and tools (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn); community management experience preferred
- Skills in digital analytics tracking and reporting tools, including Google Analytics
- Ability to organize and communicate results in dashboards and other data visualizations
- Excellent project management skills, including experience creating systems to support efficiency and collaboration; experience with project management software preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including copywriting, proofreading, and customer service
- Excellent ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to coordinate multiple tasks and meet deadlines
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, cell phone/Internet stipend, complimentary meditation app, and Employee Assistance Program (wellness, legal, etc.) benefit.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Please submit your resume and one-page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for “Associate Director of Communications” and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education. No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor