- Date Posted
- EL Education
- West Coast
Location West Coast States
Status Full Time
Positions One Position
Travel ~50% to partners and EL Education internal events, otherwise virtually
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. EL Education, a 501c(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
ABOUT THE POSITION
An EL Education Coach plays an integral role in supporting our school and district partners by helping them realize their goals, improve educator effectiveness, and achieve equitable and excellent student outcomes. Our Coaches provide specialized support as School Designer/ PD Specialist.
Coaches focus on the successful implementation of a variety of high impact practices and tools - including the EL Core (i.e. Character Framework, 3 Dimensions of Student Achievement, Student-Engaged Assessments, Core Practices, and Design Principles), CREW, and our nationally recognized K-8 ELA curriculum.
The Coach role is ideal for someone committed to helping students across the West Coast attain high levels of academic achievement in essential knowledge and skills, high quality work, and character. It is an exciting time for EL Education as we grow and deepen our impact into the highest need areas of the educational landscape across a variety of educational settings.
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. As an equal opportunity employer committed to racial equity and social justice, we make a particular effort to recruit people who identify as Black, Indigenous, and people of color, and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
- Relationship + Portfolio Management, Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside of EL including school and district leaders, coaches, teacher leaders, and teachers
- Intentionally cultivate relational trust by communicating and collaborating proactively across all stakeholders to ensure there is goal alignment, strategic and responsive solutions, and joy in implementing high-impact outcomes
- Motivate and influence partners through needs and strengths assessment, thought-partnership, and capacity-building to ensure supports provided to partners are evidence-based, impactful, and rooted in DEIA practices
- Independently coordinate professional development and coaching schedules with partners to maximize on-site time including gathering and analyzing partner data (i.e. demographics, schedules, calendars etc.) to make data-informed recommendations
- Facilitate on-site, blended, and virtual PD and coaching sessions using EL Education’s model for small to large scale audiences (School Designers focus on EL Core and PD Specialists focus on ELA curriculum)
- Communicate proactively and consistently with Partnership Director to support, celebrate, and report partner achievements and milestones, and problem-solve dynamic issues in a timely, adaptive, and people-centered manner
- Critical Evaluation, interpret and apply data when making decisions & recommendations
- Work alongside partners to gather, analyze, and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data to inform goals, priorities, pivots, and actionable next steps
- Input, manage, and maintain accurate records in Salesforce, Expensify, and internal trackers
- Communication: Express effectively through presence, facilitation, and written communications digitally and on-site
- Implement and facilitate creative, interactive face-to-face and virtual experiences for internal and external meetings that model engagement and practices expected in EL Education classrooms
- Ensure continuous improvement by sharing successes and challenges with candor; collaborating; being open to receiving and sharing actionable feedback; and transforming professional practice by applying new learning
- Managing Change, innovate + implement changes needed to improve effectiveness; help others manage change
- Prioritize effectively toward high-impact and transformative outcomes by staying informed, communicating proactively, and pivoting as needed
- Navigate complexities with respect, curiosity, empathy, and creativity while problem-solving with courage and innovation internally within EL Education and externally with partners
Global and Cultural Effectiveness:
- Value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all stakeholders
- Collaborate across lines of difference within a wide range of social identities and educational contexts
- Practice equity pauses, seek disaggregated data, and activate curiosity when making decisions and recommendations
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive practices
- At least 3-4 years of lead teaching experience
- Remarkable leadership qualities, national caliber presentation, facilitation, and organizational skills, and personal characteristics to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds
- Proven experience and deep expertise in teaching and learning—preferably in district leadership, EL Education, or similar schools in an urban and/or rural setting
- Proven experience with delivering professional development, backwards planning, and the implications of the Common Core instructional shifts
- Experience with school and/or district transformation, advancing equity initiatives, and organizational change alongside personal characteristics to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds
- A high degree of integrity, flexibility, curiosity, and growth mindset—managing complex tasks and timelines independently and proactively while working from home / away from direct supervision
- Experience, capacity, and willingness to learn and apply quickly and work with virtual teams across different geographical sites
- Exceptional organization, verbal, and written communication and interpersonal skills with willingness to ask for, receive, and implement feedback
- Willingness to travel ~50% for service delivery and internal, organizational events (ie. National Conference, Staff retreat)
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment, absent an approved medical or religious accommodation.
Preferred experience and qualifications:
- Candidate familiarity and experience in these areas are preferred
- EL Education’s Character Framework, 3 Dimensions of Student Achievement, Student-Engaged Assessments, Core Practices, and Design Principles
- EL Education’s nationally recognized ELA curriculum for grades K-8 and Core Practices
- A Master's degree in education, education leadership, or related field
- Proven experience in Primary (Grades K-2) and Intermediate Level literacy instruction, multilingual learners and/or learners with special needs
- Experience with school or district leadership roles
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience
Salary range: $95,000 - $105,000 - based on West Coast cost of living
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must attach their resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format and answer a short questionnaire.
Anticipated start date: March 2023. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor