- EL Education
- New York
- Executive Leadership
- New York City, New York
ABOUT THE POSITION
The organization has more than doubled in size over the past 5 years, and we are embarking on a new strategic plan. We’ve identified a need to increase capacity in our finance team and are recruiting for a newly created Chief Financial Officer (CFO) position reporting directly to the President/CEO and working closely with the Chief Operating Officer/Chief of Staff. We are looking for a seasoned leader to lead: financial strategy development, process innovation, external financial partner relationship management, internal capacity building efforts and end-to-end financial operations. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader committed to building and sustaining a unique, high impact, mission-driven organization. The ideal candidate will ensure that EL maintains a culture that puts internal and external customers first and provides outstanding, integrated strategic support. The CFO will oversee a team of 6 staff and will have direct interaction with senior leadership, Board of Directors, and major funders.
The position is located in New York City and requires approximately 15% travel.
Financial Strategic Planning & Analysis
- Direct the financial and administrative implementation of the long term strategic plan, leading change management associated with designing and implementing new structures, systems, and processes
- Lead annual budget preparation at the organizational and grant levels, monitoring budget variances and linking actual results back to strategic priorities established by management team
- Lead efforts in partnership with revenue owners to develop short and long term projections, including in-depth financial modeling and scenario analyses
- Manage external financial relationships with outsourced curriculum distribution partners, including projecting product sales
- Develop and refine systems and processes that will help support services and program teams across the organization to work together collaboratively and effectively
- Work in partnership with development staff to develop forecasts and track funds raised
- Optimize the use of grant funds and the recouping of overhead costs
- Manage all financial operations of the organization including accounts receivables/payables, invoicing, tax, accounting, bank relationships, treasury, cash management, payroll, forecasting, and risk management activities
- Provide guidance and leadership regarding the policies, processes and systems necessary to manage the organization's financial and administrative operations in an effective and efficient manner
- Prepare and present timely and accurate financial reports and deep analyses for senior management, Board of Directors, including the Finance, Investment and Audit Committees
- Develop and manage pricing strategy for EL programs, products and services; set annual targets in partnership with CEO and P&L owners
- Refine and adjust pricing in partnership with senior leadership; maintain pricing integrity across product/partnership lines
- Monitor trends within industry around competitive pricing
- Develop and publish P&L models for senior business leaders’ awareness and decision-making
Risk Management, Controls and Compliance
- Provide thought partnership to staff, the leadership team and Board members on compliance, risk and organizational effectiveness matters
- Lead and implement the development of ongoing assessment and mitigation of organizational risks, and plan for the implications of decisions
- Lead audit preparations and manage the ongoing relationship with the external auditors to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
Finance Team Leadership
- Attract, hire, train, evaluate and motivate a financial operations team of skilled and driven individuals
- Establish and maintain high standards of team performance by developing clear long-term and annual goals and rigorously tracking performance against them.
- Ensure that the financial team operates in a way that is consistent with EL’s culture and mission
Oversight of Support Services
- Co-lead development and implementation of an integrated IT/systems strategy to leverage technology for greater efficiency and effectiveness
- Oversee grant-making and contractual agreements, including development of policies, processes and systems to manage risk and compliance
- Develop and maintain business continuation plan
- Oversee general office administration (New York and Amherst, MA) ensuring a responsive organizational backbone across all locations
Other responsibilities to be assigned as needed
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS & ATTRIBUTES
An ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission to achieve equitable and excellent student outcomes across three dimensions of student achievement.
- A deep commitment to equity and social justice including a focus on self-awareness and engagement of continuous learning around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience include:
- 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles, including strong understanding of non-profit accounting, including the execution of audits.
- Master’s degree in finance or accounting or comparable graduate degree (i.e. MBA)
- Strong executive presence, thought leadership and influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to oversee the detailed preparation of budgets/financial accounts and understand and analyze financial data, both at an overall organizational level as well as the detailed project/program levels
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills, and the ability to develop positive and productive relationships with a dispersed team and decisively build buy-in across the organization.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- A track record of improving processes across both finance and administration, bringing greater efficiency and effectiveness to an evolving organization and leveraging technology as appropriate.
- Strong comfort level with a high level of visibility, responsibility and accountability.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Strong leader with emphasis on team building, staff empowerment and career development with emphasis on timely delivery, attention to detail, and prioritizing work flow to meet critical deadlines
- Sense of humor and high level of Emotional Intelligence (EQ).
- CPA, preferred
- Knowledge of CRM platforms, a plus (e.g. Salesforce.com), a plus
- Experience in grants management, a plus
- Knowledge of accounting software (Financial Edge), Microsoft suite and G-suite applications (google docs, etc.), a plus
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials, curriculum and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts across the nation. Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c (3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit ELeducation.org
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
EOE / VEVRAA Federal Contractor