- EL Education
- Remote; Amherst, MA or NYC
ABOUT EL EDUCATION
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL Education offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education’s students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Associate Director of Literacy Assessment is a newly created position that will work under the supervision of the Director of Research on a variety of research and data-related projects for EL Education’s K-8 Language Arts Curriculum. This position will partner with multiple curriculum focused internal teams as well as our partners to improve teaching in the classroom and outcomes, particularly for students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with a deep commitment to equity, expertise in literacy assessment, an ability to thrive in an environment of creative, innovative adaptation, an understanding of the open educational resource landscape, and a desire to make a significant contribution to one of the leading K-12 organizations in the U.S.
The Associate Director of Literacy Assessment will:
- Lead work helping EL Education field staff and curriculum partners interpret and use quantitative literacy assessment data from EL Education’s Language Arts curriculum as well as outside assessments. Involves the creation of tools, attending collaborative meetings, and leading internal and external training sessions.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to create digital, curriculum-based assessments that allow teachers and school leaders to track student achievement, adjust instruction, and track improvement towards mastery of literacy skills.
- Lead the development of a system for tracking and improving implementation integrity in the EL Education Dimensions data platform, including supporting creation of appropriate measures, developing data collection systems and processes, conducting data collection, analysis, and reporting, and communicating results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to efficacy research efforts that build the evidence base for the EL Education K-8 Language Arts curriculum including site identification, data collection and analysis, and collaborating with internal stakeholders, district partners, and third-party research firms to successfully complete research studies.
- Manage interdepartmental quantitative data analysis and reporting requests, including the creation and presentation of slide decks and dashboards for external audiences, grant proposals, and business development.
- Support the development of materials and publications that summarize research studies and the theoretical basis for EL Education approaches and practices and the results of research studies and projects.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This position requires a Bachelor's degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Education, Psychology, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field, with at least 3 years of relevant work experience focusing on literacy assessment. Familiarity with Google Applications a plus. The candidate should possess effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, and have a deep interest in educational issues, social justice, and equity. Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work successfully with diverse teams necessary.
A successful candidate will have:
- 3+ years experience working with data related to literacy assessment and instruction.
- Strong knowledge regarding literacy achievement and measurement, including detailed knowledge of existing assessments commonly used by school districts. Understanding of strengths and weaknesses of existing achievement measures as well as analysis approaches to understanding growth and mastery.
- Background in instrument development, especially in progress monitoring and formative assessment measures.
- Ability to clearly communicate about literacy assessment data. Experience facilitating professional development on assessment topics preferred.
- Quantitative analysis skills including interpretation and presentation of data, including trend identification.
- Knowledge of district and school data and assessment systems including practices to ensure data security. Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Education, Psychology, Mathematics, or Statistics.
- Excellent collaboration and organizational skills with sharp attention to detail.
- Positive attitude, adaptable to change, with strong critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and track work to completion.
- Willingness and ability to travel between 10 and 20%.
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and vision for student achievement.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time- off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, and more.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and one-page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website.
In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor