- EL Education
- New York
- National HQ
- Remote, New York City Preferred
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Originating over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education's research-based approach inspires teachers and challenges students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Our impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness as well as pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and the passion and capacity to contribute to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district, charter, elementary and secondary, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including an open source literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed professional development and instructional resources with our 150+ school partners in 39 states, serving over 50,000 students. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Associate Director of Communication (AD) is one of the leading public voices of EL Education. At their core, they are a powerful communicator who can move, connect, inspire, and provoke thought with words and ideas across contexts and audiences. They report to the Director of Communications and are a member of the Marketing Communications Team. The Associate Director will supervise the EL Education Communications Specialist.
The Associate Director is the organization’s lead for press and media. They will build relationships with reporters and influencers, pitch stories, and publish press releases and op eds. They have their finger on the pulse of hot media topics in education and help EL Education prepare to respond on short notice to press opportunities. They’ll also own our strategy to prevent negative press and respond in moments of crisis.
Writing & Editing
The AD is the team’s lead writer-storyteller who can craft strategic and inspiring content for our websites, email marketing campaigns, print collateral, blog, and more. They help develop powerful brand messaging and help ensure consistency across the organization. They take the lead on gathering stories from our partners, raising up the voices of educators and students to share the inspiring messages of EL Education. In addition, the AD is also editor for important publications, such as the annual report and our newsletters. They’ll work closely with EL Education’s team of authors, bloggers, thought leaders, and content creators.
The AD takes social media to the next level: cultivating brand ambassadors, building relationships between our users, nurturing two-way conversations with partners, curating content from top education influencers, and establishing EL’s reputation as a thought leader. They’re up to date on the latest social media innovations. They empower staff to use social media to build community with their partners and share organizational messages.
The AD supports the Director of Marketing and Communications in developing sustainable strategies that help EL Education fulfill its mission and meet business goals. This includes content strategy, PR strategy, and managing communications calendars.
Supervising the Communications Specialist
The AD manages the Communications Specialist (CS). They ensure the CS receives the support they need to succeed in their role and grow as a professional. The AD’s creative talents complement the CS’s technical and operations skills.
Budget and Vendor Management
The AD takes ownership of the budget and responsibility for vendor relations for specific projects and functions, including public relations, email, and social media.
- The successful candidate combines expertise in marketing communications with a passion for our mission who shares our organization’s commitment to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment.
- A minimum of four years working in marketing or communications
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Demonstrated commitment to equity in education
- Knowledge of education policy and practice issues, and the ability to communicate them to diverse stakeholders
- Ability to travel for occasional meetings across the US (up to 4 weeks per year)
- Expertise with social media strategies, services, and tools (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn); community management experience preferred
- Experience developing marketing or communications strategies to support organizational business goals
- Knowledge of analytics and ability to use them to measure success and drive strategy
- Extraordinary written communication skills, including copywriting, storytelling, blogging, interviewing, reporting, editing, proofreading, and technical writing
- Understanding of how to pitch, develop, and earn news media coverage
- Experience with digital publishing and content management systems
- Knowledge of education media outlets, including print, broadcast, and digital
- Excellent ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to coordinate multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience with marketing automation and CRM database management a plus
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, cell phone/Internet stipend, complimentary meditation app, and Employee Assistance Program (wellness, legal, etc.) benefit.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Please submit your resume and one-page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for “Associate Director of Communications” and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education. No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. EL Education is committed to equity across the organization: in services to our partners, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor