- California; remote/virtual considered
ABOUT EL EDUCATION
EL Education is a leading K-12 education non-profit that is meeting the national challenge to raise student achievement. Combining challenging work with the joy of discovery and pride in mastery, EL Education offers the education we would want for every child: one that prepares citizens with both the skills and the character necessary for success throughout college, work and life.
Our portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on 20+ years of success in more than 160 EL schools, serving 4,000 teachers and 53,000 students in 31 states and Washington D.C. Based on founding principles of meaningful work, character and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement, regardless of student background.
In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education’s students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world. For more information, visit http://eleducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL Education’s Schools team is looking for a talented administrative professional that loves organizing, planning and multi-tasking in a collaborative team environment in support of our mission. The Schools Team Administrative Associate provides administrative support and management of logistical details for EL Education’s Schools team members. The Schools Team at EL is responsible for managing partnerships with schools and districts across the US. The leadership team is comprised of Senior Directors (3), the Director of Leadership Development and Regional Directors (8) who manage these partnerships and ensure those partnerships are staffed with world-class school and district coaches.
Reporting to a Senior Director, this position will be responsible for supporting the needs of Senior Director(s) and his/her staff and portfolio of school and district partners. This role serves as administrative support for Senior Directors and occasional tasks delegated from other members of the EL Education Schools Leadership Team. Likewise, the role includes providing logistical support for occasional large-scale professional development events.
In order to be successful in the role, the individual must have strong skills in executive support, project management and logistical operations, and be able to effectively collaborate within the EL Education Schools Leadership Team.
Job Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Calendar management and travel planning:
- Proactive calendar management (primarily for Senior Director; occasionally for Regional Directors): set up individual and group meetings, identify overlaps and resolve, partner with other internal staff to coordinate travel dates,
- Partner with Senior Director (primarily) and Regional Directors (occasionally) to manage their travel arrangements (airfare, train, lodging, etc.)
Event planning and support
Provide logistical support for events and meetings (e.g. regional meetings, partner events, project team meetings):
- Research and vet potential venues for meetings with internal staff and external partners
- Handle details during contract negotiations with venues and finalize details on event planning; manage hotel vendors as needed
- Coordinate travel and lodging for regional staff attending events as needed
- Handle logistics on-site for occasional internal and external meetings (catering, copies, materials, communications to attendees)
- Partner with Program team and other internal team members as needed (for supplies, materials, best practice sharing for successful event planning, etc.)
- Partner with Senior Director to manage event planning budget (invoices, payments to vendors, etc.), if applicable
Data and expense management
- Attend to data entry tasks and managerial details (e.g., updating school partner contact information, school achievement data, heat maps, geographical territory maps, sending out follow-up reminders to partners)
- Serve as a member of internal Administrative Associate cohort team; meet with the team to share best practices, identify operational issues and offer recommendations for improvements to Chief Operating Officer and senior leadership
- Generate expense reports through tracking, coding, categorizing expenses; submit to Finance through internal system (Expensify)
Communications / Project support
- Lead small scale, ad hoc projects from end to end including detailed project plans, managing deliverables, coordinating communications, etc.
- Manage email communications, including coordination of communications with internal colleagues and Senior Director’s direct reports and external partners
- Partner with internal staff to manage email distribution lists
- Other duties as assigned
A successful candidate will have the following:
- Highly proficient in technology tools including the Google Apps (calendar, hangout, gchat, email), MS Office Suite
- Ability to use web-based collaboration tools (e.g., Google Hangout, Google drive, Zoom video)
- Strong communication skills including internal and external audiences
- Logistical event planning for participants from a variety of settings
- Familiarity with Salesforce (customer relationship management software), preferred
- Basic understanding of the education profession, workings of school districts, etc
- Familiarity with nonprofit business processes such as the contract, purchase order, invoice and billing process
- Background in K-12 education, preferred
Work Experience / Skills & Attributes:
- A minimum of 2 years work experience, ideally in an administrative support role
- High detail-orientation
- Project management skills
- A self-starter with demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Ability to prioritize a number of concurrent tasks
- Ability to set own daily schedule, prioritize a number of tasks
- Service oriented mindset
- Ability to collaborate and match collaboration style to support dynamic and diverse team members
- Comfort with working remotely by oneself and also being a part of highly interactive face-to-face events
- Ability to work with a geographically dispersed organization
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to bring a spirit of joy and humor to challenges
- High level of discretion and judgment with dealing with sensitive issues
- Ability to contribute to and collaborate in a diverse and inclusive organization
- Above all, compassion
- Bachelor’s degree preferred -- ideally with background in communication, business administration or education
TRAVEL: ~20% (mostly for internal staff meetings and some external partner-facing events)
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time- off, 403b match, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Please submit your resume and one page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our website. In your cover letter, identify the position you are applying for and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, disability, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor