Implementing Toward Impact: EL Education K-2 Reading Foundational Skills Block
Curriculum Institute, Virtual Event
- Grade Level
Public, EL Education Partners
EL Education’s K–2 Reading Foundations Skills Block is a structured phonics curriculum designed to accelerate literacy learning for all students and set the conditions for educational equity. This Skills Block is meant to ensure that, by the end of grade 2, students acquire the depth of skills they need in the Reading Foundations and Language standards to navigate grade-level text independently.
Join this professional learning experience to discover:
- how a structured phonics program can help students crack the alphabetic code and learn the skills they need to read complex texts fluently and with understanding.
- how this phonics work complements the strong focus on content-based literacy in the Module Lessons and K–2 Labs (Labs).
- how the embedded assessments can inform planning based on strengths and areas of growth.
- Participants will engage, synchronously & asynchronously, with fellow K-2 educators from across the country, cultivating a community of collaborative learning and co-constructing knowledge to support implementation of the curriculum.
- Participants will explore the research and principles behind the structured Reading Foundations Skills Block and how it supports students to “crack the alphabetic code” to be able to read with fluency and, most importantly, comprehend grade-level text independently.
- Participants will connect to and enhance their professional practice through contextualizing their learning around the Reading Foundations Skills Block.
- Participants evolve their understanding of the structure and key features of the Reading Foundations Skills Block and begin planning for the successful implementation of the Reading Foundations Skills Block that supports improved student achievement and excellent and equitable outcomes in their district, schools and classrooms.
Please click here for policies, logistics, and pricing information.
Specific dates TBD to include:
- Kick-off meeting July 2023
- Asynchronous Canvas Course Completion July-August 2023
- Five 90-min synchronous sessions throughout the 2023-2024 school year
This institute will be held virtually. Please check back for dates.
Registration will open Monday, August 8th at noon Eastern time.