- Partner Schools
- Washington, DC
2016-2017 Position Available: Substitute Library Assistant
The Substitute Library Assistant, as a member of the Library Team, provides services to support patrons’ use of Library resources and services, is responsible for specialized areas of library operations and provides support to the library team. The Library Assistant reports to the Director of Library Services and Instructional Technology.
The Library Assistant is expected to:
• Assume responsibility for one or more specialized areas of library operations such as circulation, basic copy cataloging, shelving and inventory, reserves or equipment.
• Actively participate in team meetings and activities to support the Library’s vision, mission, goals and objectives.
• Assist library patrons with circulation, basic information questions, and related functions.
• Assist patrons in the use of electronic library resources such as the online catalog, library website, research databases, e-books, Internet, etc.
• Search and verify bibliographic citations for books and other materials for copy cataloging, interlibrary loans, and processing orders, etc.
• Shelve library materials and maintain reserve shelving. Inventory library collection. File in alphabetic and/or numeric files.
• Perform routine basic copy cataloging, update records in the online catalog, withdraw items selected by a librarian, maintain holdings records, and course reserve records, etc.
• Process new library materials and mend damaged items.
• Assist patrons to use audio-visual materials and equipment, and other equipment such as computers, scanners, printers, photocopier, microfiche reader, etc. Responsible for equipment inventories, and perform basic troubleshooting and maintenance of audio-visual equipment. Schedule equipment for patron use.
• Create and update general library handouts, brochures and signs. Write drafts of information for newsletters, class schedule, etc. Create and maintain displays.
• Participate in planning and implement library outreach activities.
• Share in responsibility of leading and training student workers.
• Open or close the Library at the start or end of the day. Responsible for the Library and assisting patrons when a librarian is not present.
• Other duties as assigned.
Capital City was founded in 2000 and currently serves students in grades PK-12 at a single site in Ward 4. Capital City has been a model for school reform in the District. The school implements the Expeditionary Learning model in tandem with the common principles of the Coalition of Essential Schools (CES). Through Expeditionary Learning (www.elschools.org) teachers craft expeditions that incorporate projects, research, fieldwork and service to support students in meeting rigorous standards. The CES principles (www.essentialschools.org) emphasize equity, depth over breadth, student leadership, and authenticity. Capital City’s program also emphasizes a strong social curriculum, a commitment to diversity, a strong inclusion model and the integration of arts into the curriculum. There is a strong focus on professional development and growth.
To Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Substitute Library Assistant” in the subject line. For additional information, visit our school's website at www.ccpcs.org, or our library website at www.ccpcs.org/library.
Capital City is an equal‐opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.